Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Did you fill it 6 qts or did it take more? I only ask because of this video and also he showed how to save that little pin that is so easy to lose Oil Change 2018 VW Atlas
Installed aFe Cold Air Intake and WeatherTech Floor Liners

The CAI was a straight forward install only annoying part was getting the MAF (mass airflow) tube to fit into the aFe tube, ended up cutting it partially.
View attachment 1160

View attachment 1161

View attachment 1162

View attachment 1163

View attachment 1164

View attachment 1165
Installed aFe Cold Air Intake and WeatherTech Floor Liners

The CAI was a straight forward install only annoying part was getting the MAF (mass airflow) tube to fit into the aFe tube, ended up cutting it partially.
View attachment 1160

View attachment 1161

View attachment 1162

View attachment 1163

View attachment 1164

View attachment 1165
I have a question on the cold air intake, Did you install it for more of a rumble noise on acceleration? I have put Injen air intakes on sportier cars and the purpose was usually to get a more of a rumble on full throttle. Also, I am sure that it would negatively effect your fuel economy since more air would cause your ECM to sense a lean condition and increase fuel to the engine. As for hp increase, I have never noticed anything worth talking about, its the same as with these performance chips (or performance gips). Comments?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have a question on the cold air intake, Did you install it for more of a rumble noise on acceleration? I have put Injen air intakes on sportier cars and the purpose was usually to get a more of a rumble on full throttle. Also, I am sure that it would negatively effect your fuel economy since more air would cause your ECM to sense a lean condition and increase fuel to the engine. As for hp increase, I have never noticed anything worth talking about, its the same as with these performance chips (or performance gips). Comments?
I did it purely for the rumble, my wife was spoiled with the Grand Cherokee we had way more power and I had done a bunch of work to it (exhaust, down pipe and intake) so she likes having that rumble. Still need to do the exhaust, which will probably be the final "performance" mod I do for this vehicle; I plan on just removing the current muffler and just putting some high flow mufflers.

For years now people have been going back and forth regarding the myth of CAI and if they really work, my opinion is that since I'm using the OEM MAF and it throws no CEL (check engine light) there is no reason that the fuel delivery should change the ECU should automatically adjust to the air flow delivery with the new intake in place. When it comes to running to rich/lean I would agree if there was some sort of blockage like a clogged airbox which I have seen before or damaged/old O2 sensors this would cause the fuel delivery to mess up. Thats just my opinion I always track my MPG on all my cars so will post any major changes.

The only real brand that I trust for HP gain would be K&N since they actually take the time to dyno vehicles before and after but since they don't make an intake right now I had no choice but to go with this brand. I did reach out to them to possibly sponsor me and use my car for their development program but they said its not in their plan to make an intake for the foreseeable future. Performance chips freak me out because my biggest fear in life when it comes to cars is CEL's because they can be a pain to properly remove and these chips can sometimes make the system go all of the place.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Added a couple more things to the Atlas

1) Armrest Container, not sure why VW did design the door trim with this already I'm so used to dropping stuff into those cubbys and came across this on Amazon. Very nice quality too no vibration noises at all.
Link to Item - Here

2) Cross Bars, install took about 40 minutes just measuring and aligning everything, I went with black to match the look I'm going for. Wind noise can be heard at about 53MPH+; I was not planning on dropping like $200 for name brand ones and these ran me like $90 on sale so I'm happy with it.
Link to Item - Here

I hope I can take care of the tint next and I talked to a local shop about fabrication for a custom exhaust just got need to find the time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Started getting a Check Engine Light thats been turning on and off randomly for past 3 days. When I plugged in the OBD tester its throwing a P0420 code looked it up online and I found this for possible causes
  • Faulty Three-way Catalyst Converter Bank 1
  • Exhaust Tube
  • Intake Air Leaks
  • Faulty Oxygen (O2) Sensor
  • Faulty Fuel injector(s)
  • Leaking Fuel Injector (s)
  • Faulty Spark plugs
  • Improper Ignition Timing
  • Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
  • Dirty Air Filter
I figured it was a bad O2 Sensor.

Took the car to dealership and it ended up being a bad catalytic converter I was able to get everything covered under warranty. Also had them take care of 2 open recalls one for the Sunroof Drain and the Headlight Adjusting Screw caps. Car seems to being drive much smoother now.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Started getting a Check Engine Light thats been turning on and off randomly for past 3 days. When I plugged in the OBD tester its throwing a P0420 code looked it up online and I found this for possible causes
  • Faulty Three-way Catalyst Converter Bank 1
  • Exhaust Tube
  • Intake Air Leaks
  • Faulty Oxygen (O2) Sensor
  • Faulty Fuel injector(s)
  • Leaking Fuel Injector (s)
  • Faulty Spark plugs
  • Improper Ignition Timing
  • Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
  • Dirty Air Filter
I figured it was a bad O2 Sensor.

Took the car to dealership and it ended up being a bad catalytic converter I was able to get everything covered under warranty. Also had them take care of 2 open recalls one for the Sunroof Drain and the Headlight Adjusting Screw caps. Car seems to being drive much smoother now. View attachment 1190

View attachment 1191

·
Registered
161 Posts
I see you went to Lindsay VW. I live in NJ, but bought my Atlas at Lindsay VW. It as a 3-1/2 hour drive, but I was very pleased with the buying process, (I located the car online and talked over the phone with the salesman who gave emailed me a quote). It has been a month and they are still reaching out to see if I have any issues. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Since the quarantine has been on going on thought it was the best time to knock out painting the calipers. For some reason I did not take that many pictures like I usually do so sorry about that.

Orbital Sander
Link to item - Here

Caliper Paint Black
Link to item - Here

Spent like an 30 minutes prepping each caliper so sanding, cleaning with brake cleaner, then wiping down with rubbing alcohol before painting. I applied three coats and waited about 2 hours between each coat, since my wife does not have to go anywhere the paint can properly cure for the next few days.

·
Registered
53 Posts
just got an 18 atlas selp 4m and slowly doing upgrades. ordered some mudflaps and hitch adapters.

now moving on the ledification.

went with the rear turn signal 1157:

i used spares that i had for the 15 genesis sedan drl that has a habit of blowing out incandescent bulbs. it has been solid for over a year on the genesis in fl heat and are always on while driving so should last much longer in the atlas. no hyperflashing.

ordered front fogs H8:

as much as people seem to like deauto their prices are high. their fogs are $144 while amazon one is $25. theirs may last longer or brighter but i don't want to possibly blind oncoming traffic with brighter leds. i can get 5 pairs of h8 leds for almost the same price and if they last a year it will be 5 years with fresh leds every year and not have to worry about brightness eventually fading.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
No new parts/mods for the Atlas for a while now but I did want to post that the driver side wheels where making a very annoying squeaking noise since I painted the calipers. I thought it was just paint on the rotors but the noise would only be around 20-25 MPH. After weeks of talking about addressing the noise I got around to looking at it yesterday and put some high temp grease on the brake clips and no more noise.

Looking for a rook rack. Let me know if anyone has bought one

·
Registered
2020 Atlas V6 SE w/ Technology R-Line
17 Posts
No new parts/mods for the Atlas for a while now but I did want to post that the driver side wheels where making a very annoying squeaking noise since I painted the calipers. I thought it was just paint on the rotors but the noise would only be around 20-25 MPH. After weeks of talking about addressing the noise I got around to looking at it yesterday and put some high temp grease on the brake clips and no more noise.

Looking for a rook rack. Let me know if anyone has bought one
I didn't know they made CAI's for this car, gonna check youtube for a clip, it probably sounds pretty nice though.

Those door handle inserts, when you apply pressure to close the door do they move at all or have any give?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I didn't know they made CAI's for this car, gonna check youtube for a clip, it probably sounds pretty nice though.

Those door handle inserts, when you apply pressure to close the door do they move at all or have any give?
The CAI for sure made the car a little bit louder but its way to expensive in my opinion I just really wanted it so I bought it.

The door handle inserts do move if you apply pressure to the side of them been debating to put some 3M tape along the outside of them to help them stick better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The CAI for sure made the car a little bit louder but its way to expensive in my opinion I just really wanted it so I bought it.

The door handle inserts do move if you apply pressure to the side of them been debating to put some 3M tape along the outside of them to help them stick better.
I saw a youtube video of someone driving before/after the cai, it sure did sound nice. Did you feel any performance bump at all afterwards?

I was going to buy a bunch of those and similar little inserts and what not off amazon but I kept seeing issues like that in regards to fitments or other issues so in the end I just ended up installing the screen protector and the fob casing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I saw a youtube video of someone driving before/after the cai, it sure did sound nice. Did you feel any performance bump at all afterwards?

I was going to buy a bunch of those and similar little inserts and what not off amazon but I kept seeing issues like that in regards to fitments or other issues so in the end I just ended up installing the screen protector and the fob casing.
Personally, throttle response is a little bit better but in reality the car needs to be tuned via Accessport or dynoed by a pro the car seems to be very restricted to me. My plan is to do a resonator delete and some high flow mufflers soon which I think will help the vehicle a ton.

Those inserts are so handy I can't tell you how many times I accidentally dropped my phone into that hole just to have it drop right through, its a very strange design not to have storage pockets there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I hear you, It's like the the only negative about the atlas, it's just a bit underpowered, I wish there was a way to add just enough somehow to make highway passing and what not alittle quicker. I keep second guessing myself because I'm so used to my other car and I didn't have to give it much thought, just hit it and I'm good.

I think I'm going to pick up those inserts as well, it is really handy to plop the phone there, it would have been nice to have it made like that, you're right about that for sure.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

We almost lost the Atlas a couple days ago.

White Corolla ran a red light, hit the car next to me, then proceeded to flee the scene. The white Corolla spun out twice went over a median and drove off but was followed by a couple other drivers. He apparently went back to his house ripped the bumper off then drove off again, turned into a huge scene because the cops could not find him they called in the Chopper.

Hopefully this convinces people to get a dash camera in their car.

·
Registered
17 Posts

We almost lost the Atlas a couple days ago.

White Corolla ran a red light, hit the car next to me, then proceeded to flee the scene. The white Corolla spun out twice went over a median and drove off but was followed by a couple other drivers. He apparently went back to his house ripped the bumper off then drove off again, turned into a huge scene because the cops could not find him they called in the Chopper.

Hopefully this convinces people to get a dash camera in their car.
****....such a close call dude! Where was this at?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts