Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did you fill it 6 qts or did it take more? I only ask because of this video and also he showed how to save that little pin that is so easy to lose Oil Change 2018 VW Atlas
Installed aFe Cold Air Intake and WeatherTech Floor Liners

The CAI was a straight forward install only annoying part was getting the MAF (mass airflow) tube to fit into the aFe tube, ended up cutting it partially.
View attachment 1160

View attachment 1161

View attachment 1162

View attachment 1163

View attachment 1164

View attachment 1165
Installed aFe Cold Air Intake and WeatherTech Floor Liners

The CAI was a straight forward install only annoying part was getting the MAF (mass airflow) tube to fit into the aFe tube, ended up cutting it partially.
View attachment 1160

View attachment 1161

View attachment 1162

View attachment 1163

View attachment 1164

View attachment 1165
I have a question on the cold air intake, Did you install it for more of a rumble noise on acceleration? I have put Injen air intakes on sportier cars and the purpose was usually to get a more of a rumble on full throttle. Also, I am sure that it would negatively effect your fuel economy since more air would cause your ECM to sense a lean condition and increase fuel to the engine. As for hp increase, I have never noticed anything worth talking about, its the same as with these performance chips (or performance gips). Comments?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have a question on the cold air intake, Did you install it for more of a rumble noise on acceleration? I have put Injen air intakes on sportier cars and the purpose was usually to get a more of a rumble on full throttle. Also, I am sure that it would negatively effect your fuel economy since more air would cause your ECM to sense a lean condition and increase fuel to the engine. As for hp increase, I have never noticed anything worth talking about, its the same as with these performance chips (or performance gips). Comments?
I did it purely for the rumble, my wife was spoiled with the Grand Cherokee we had way more power and I had done a bunch of work to it (exhaust, down pipe and intake) so she likes having that rumble. Still need to do the exhaust, which will probably be the final "performance" mod I do for this vehicle; I plan on just removing the current muffler and just putting some high flow mufflers.

For years now people have been going back and forth regarding the myth of CAI and if they really work, my opinion is that since I'm using the OEM MAF and it throws no CEL (check engine light) there is no reason that the fuel delivery should change the ECU should automatically adjust to the air flow delivery with the new intake in place. When it comes to running to rich/lean I would agree if there was some sort of blockage like a clogged airbox which I have seen before or damaged/old O2 sensors this would cause the fuel delivery to mess up. Thats just my opinion I always track my MPG on all my cars so will post any major changes.

The only real brand that I trust for HP gain would be K&N since they actually take the time to dyno vehicles before and after but since they don't make an intake right now I had no choice but to go with this brand. I did reach out to them to possibly sponsor me and use my car for their development program but they said its not in their plan to make an intake for the foreseeable future. Performance chips freak me out because my biggest fear in life when it comes to cars is CEL's because they can be a pain to properly remove and these chips can sometimes make the system go all of the place.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Added a couple more things to the Atlas

1) Armrest Container, not sure why VW did design the door trim with this already I'm so used to dropping stuff into those cubbys and came across this on Amazon. Very nice quality too no vibration noises at all.
Link to Item - Here

2) Cross Bars, install took about 40 minutes just measuring and aligning everything, I went with black to match the look I'm going for. Wind noise can be heard at about 53MPH+; I was not planning on dropping like $200 for name brand ones and these ran me like $90 on sale so I'm happy with it.
Link to Item - Here

I hope I can take care of the tint next and I talked to a local shop about fabrication for a custom exhaust just got need to find the time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Started getting a Check Engine Light thats been turning on and off randomly for past 3 days. When I plugged in the OBD tester its throwing a P0420 code looked it up online and I found this for possible causes
  • Faulty Three-way Catalyst Converter Bank 1
  • Exhaust Tube
  • Intake Air Leaks
  • Faulty Oxygen (O2) Sensor
  • Faulty Fuel injector(s)
  • Leaking Fuel Injector (s)
  • Faulty Spark plugs
  • Improper Ignition Timing
  • Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
  • Dirty Air Filter
I figured it was a bad O2 Sensor.

Took the car to dealership and it ended up being a bad catalytic converter I was able to get everything covered under warranty. Also had them take care of 2 open recalls one for the Sunroof Drain and the Headlight Adjusting Screw caps. Car seems to being drive much smoother now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Started getting a Check Engine Light thats been turning on and off randomly for past 3 days. When I plugged in the OBD tester its throwing a P0420 code looked it up online and I found this for possible causes
  • Faulty Three-way Catalyst Converter Bank 1
  • Exhaust Tube
  • Intake Air Leaks
  • Faulty Oxygen (O2) Sensor
  • Faulty Fuel injector(s)
  • Leaking Fuel Injector (s)
  • Faulty Spark plugs
  • Improper Ignition Timing
  • Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
  • Dirty Air Filter
I figured it was a bad O2 Sensor.

Took the car to dealership and it ended up being a bad catalytic converter I was able to get everything covered under warranty. Also had them take care of 2 open recalls one for the Sunroof Drain and the Headlight Adjusting Screw caps. Car seems to being drive much smoother now. View attachment 1190

View attachment 1191

·
Registered
31 Posts
I see you went to Lindsay VW. I live in NJ, but bought my Atlas at Lindsay VW. It as a 3-1/2 hour drive, but I was very pleased with the buying process, (I located the car online and talked over the phone with the salesman who gave emailed me a quote). It has been a month and they are still reaching out to see if I have any issues. I highly recommend them.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts