First oil change.. 2.0 SE - Volkswagen Atlas Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By notabiker
  • 1 Post By Chillax
  • 1 Post By irhutch

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

First oil change.. 2.0 SE

Hi all, I subscribe to mototuneusa's way of breaking in an engine. Go pick a gear like 3rd and accelerate moderately then release and coast back down to 1500 or so and repeat a few times and then go up a gear and repeat. That puts a load on the rings and seats them into the bores during the acceleration part. The coasting creates a vacuum and cleans the junk off the cylinder bores. Doing this prevents the cylinders from glazing over which will prevent the rings from sealing any more.

Anyway my wife purchased one in Wi as we were driving back to Co. I was able to do this break-in for about 30 miles (vehicle had 80 on it) and then told her to vary the throttle and speed as she followed the jetta tdi I was driving. Put about 1,000 miles on it in two days and I changed the oil last night. I think it's friggin craaaaaazy to go 10,000 miles with a brand new engine and the same oil. It was only $25 for oil and another $10 for a filter.

I also took the belly pan and cut a nice oval shape out of it with my jig saw (two 4" diameter circles with the centers about 2.5" apart with the drain plug in the center of the first one), didn't even bat an eye at doing that as I recently got an aluminum pan for the jetta (stock plastic cracked after hitting a turtle (Wi term for ice chuck from behind a wheel that falls onto the road)) and cut a similar hole on that for oil changes.

Oil was beautifully sparkly as pretty much all new engine oil is so I'm glad I did the first change already. Now to order a magnetic plug and I'll probably change the oil a couple times in the first 10,000 before going to the 10k oci. After all it's not really that expensive compared to possible thousands of miles longer life and less engine wear.

Side note, brought a craftsman mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine that's their "Just check and add" oil that never needs to be changed.. Well it takes 1/2 a quart so I got some 5w-30 dino oil and did two 15 minute break-in runs before putting in the oil that came with the mower. The first oil change was very very sparkly and the next one was much less so. I don't think an engine (especially one without a filter) is going to last many hundreds of hours with that grit getting splashed on the bore every revolution.

So is everyone going to wait 10,000 miles for the first oil change here?
pgarch6 likes this.
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:48 AM

I expect that very few invested owners will wait the full term for the first oil change. Personally I've always done it much sooner just to get rid of all the metal shavings. For what it costs it not like you're saving all that much by waiting.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:03 PM

Garage
My experience on VW with timing chains (I am a big VR6 guy, but don't know if the 2.0 TFSI uses chains or not) is that the wear on the timing system is more of an issue than say rings in regards to longer oil changes.

Changing more frequently is a great idea, I just wish the 3.6 wasn't such a royal mess to change...90% cleanup 3% filling and 7% removal and draining. So it seems... Hopefully your 2.0 is way easier.
pgarch6 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:57 AM

Around 7,500 miles is probably the longest I would go before changing, but much less during the initial break in period. With all the additives in fuel now, I think the 10,000 mile interval needs to be updated, at least for America.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

The newest gen 3b 2.0 is timing chains from what I read. Rings don't really wear once broken in properly, the cylinder bore would probably wear faster. The good thing is the 2.0 holds something like 6 quarts as the 5 quart just barely tickled the dipstick. I didn't pay attention to the amount it held and just grabbed a 7 quart pan I had handy and I ended up spilling a little when I had to move the pan to get measurements for the cuts.. Didn't realize it was that full until I went to pull it out, which I did very slowly! So more oil means it should last that much longer which is good for the 10k oil changes. To speed them up I cut out the skid plate where the drain plug is. Sure I might get 0.001% worse airflow under the car but compared to the pita it is to pull the pan off I don't really care.

Also I have a 2012 jetta tdi and they do 10k oil changes with 5 quarts of oil, many folks who do oil analysis end up finding out the oil is still good out to 15k miles or higher. Granted the tdi is a 130k timing belt so there's no chain wear present.

If you want cleaner oil changes without going under the cars then do what the dealers do and suck it out of the dipstick tube. In fact that is what the online service manual site that most mechanics use says to do and if you don't have the equipment then do it through the drain plug.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190331_221757.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	713   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190331_212151.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	715  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notabiker View Post
The newest gen 3b 2.0 is timing chains from what I read. Rings don't really wear once broken in properly, the cylinder bore would probably wear faster. The good thing is the 2.0 holds something like 6 quarts as the 5 quart just barely tickled the dipstick. I didn't pay attention to the amount it held and just grabbed a 7 quart pan I had handy and I ended up spilling a little when I had to move the pan to get measurements for the cuts.. Didn't realize it was that full until I went to pull it out, which I did very slowly! So more oil means it should last that much longer which is good for the 10k oil changes. To speed them up I cut out the skid plate where the drain plug is. Sure I might get 0.001% worse airflow under the car but compared to the pita it is to pull the pan off I don't really care.

Also I have a 2012 jetta tdi and they do 10k oil changes with 5 quarts of oil, many folks who do oil analysis end up finding out the oil is still good out to 15k miles or higher. Granted the tdi is a 130k timing belt so there's no chain wear present.

If you want cleaner oil changes without going under the cars then do what the dealers do and suck it out of the dipstick tube. In fact that is what the online service manual site that most mechanics use says to do and if you don't have the equipment then do it through the drain plug.
With the high grade synthetics available today the limiting factor is your oil filter. The oil filter will need changing before the oil does.
pgarch6 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page