Windshield Wipers Screeching - Volkswagen Atlas Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kamron
  • 1 Post By Jay

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Windshield Wipers Screeching

Hello,

I am on my second pair of wiper blades. Does anyone’s wipers blades screech loudly against there windshield? My first pair is 8 months and have been doing it since it was purchased 8 months ago. It replaced and it was normal for a week and now screeching again. Do I apply anything to it? Never had this on any vehicle before.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 03:07 PM

You may want to consider going with a different brand of blade. Is it making this noise even when its raining? Sometimes they can be a bit loud if there is a build up of grime on the glass. I know alcohol wipes on the rubber can help soften them up and make them quieter as well.
Vwgrog likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:19 PM

Might need to adjust the tension on the wiper arms, as it sounds like they may be pushing too hard on the windshield. Kamron has made some good suggestions though, so I'd start with a good cleaning of the blades and glass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 08:08 PM
Jay

Same thing happened on my atlas as well. It's very annoying. No matter rain heave or light, it starts screaming after wiping a couple of minutes. There may be some design issue on the windshield. I have found two atlas having a long crack started from center bottom all the way up to the mirror. The windshield doesn't have a smooth curve especially in the middle.
Vwgrog likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:36 AM

I know there have been some owner complaints over wind noise but this issue with the wipers seems new. Does sound like either the shape or quality of the glass might be a problem on some models. Hopefully they send out some kind of TSB to address it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:15 PM

I apply a product to my windows called JetSeal (by Chemicalguys.com) and water glides off the windows/windshield most of the time w/o me even having to use the wipers. Might be worth considering!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 07:35 PM

Garage
New to the Atlas, but on my other vehicles I remove the blades every few months and wash with hot water and dish soap in the utility sink. Gross how much junk comes off and it has helped with other vehicles in the past.

This time of year the pollen is the killer for blades as that stuff is sticky and is hard to get off. Doesn't matter wear you park even, just floats all over.

In my experience the Bosch factory blades are the quietest...at least on other VW's...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:22 PM

I experienced the same problem with my wipers. Three days after I had the car, it rained slightly in my area. Turned on the wipers and what an awful experience as far as noice. Never owned a VW before, but the noise coming from the wipers against the windshield seems like it was from a really old and beat-up car.
I did a thorough windshield clean today using Rain-X, I've used it on previous cars and works well. It hasn't rained today, but I will definitely check when it rains next time.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conna07 View Post
I experienced the same problem with my wipers. Three days after I had the car, it rained slightly in my area. Turned on the wipers and what an awful experience as far as noice. Never owned a VW before, but the noise coming from the wipers against the windshield seems like it was from a really old and beat-up car.
I did a thorough windshield clean today using Rain-X, I've used it on previous cars and works well. It hasn't rained today, but I will definitely check when it rains next time.
Cleaning the windshield might not do it. Clean the wipers too. I usually soak them with window cleaner then wipe them off with a bounty. Have been doing that with all cars I had. I did not have to change them for over 4 years and I only changed them just to be on the safe side before they start drying and splitting when in use (all my prior cars where parked outdoors).

2018 Atlas SEL Premium - Deep Black Pearl with with Titan Black Leather - Sep 2018 Build

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page