Regular or premium gas? Confused! - Volkswagen Atlas Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Question Regular or premium gas? Confused!

I am confused as to what is the proper octane rating for the 2.0 turbo Atlas. The official advertisement from VW states tha engine makes 235HP but in the small print states that the 235hp is achieved using premium fuel. Now, my dealer says to use regular. According to VW.com specs of the engine, it also says regular unleaded. Now, what sort of missadvertising is that? 235hp, but use regular, which would obviously reduce the engine’s power down from 235. I always knew that the GTI’s 2.0 turbo engines needed premium, even when I test drove one in the past, the dealer said it needed premium. The Atlas’s 2.0 is the GTI’s engine. I looked the current specs on the current GTI model and according to VW.com GTI uses regular gas! Since when does the GTI’s 2.0 use regular gas? Is this in error? I am totally confused as to what is proper fuel for the 2.0 atlas. It seems none of the current VW cars need premium!??! But they advertise the HP using premium fuel.

Last edited by Nick1979; 10-02-2018 at 10:07 AM.
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 10:46 AM

Same

I too noticed the difference in the use of fuel. I guess they wanted to show the highest HP so they tested it with premium fuel. My salesman said he never noticed that, so he said.
I use regular fuel as I will give up a little HP for fuel that is around 50 cents per gallon cheaper. But that is just me, saving $9 per fill up is Ok with me.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:20 AM

Garage
If you do mods to the 2.0L you should use Premium. I have mods on my 2.0L and use Premium and on the highway get between 20 and 21 MPG at 70 to 75MPH. Around town about 18MPG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 09:33 AM

I see your point! What does your gas door say? What about the owner's manual? I've got the VR6 and mine recommends regular, though I'm unfortunately not boosted. Some folks with the VR6 were thinking they should use premium, but the gas door expressly states 87 octane.
Xbnch001 likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 11:38 AM

I agree, look at the fuel door and see what it says. I think (without going to look) that the 3.6 says either regular or premium fuel. The 235hp is (I'm sure) with premium.
But the engine will probably realize the octane that you put in and change the engine's tune to use it. You will get less hp with regular though.
Unless you really need a couple extra HP for towing or racing or something, and the car allows it (I'm sure it does), then go with the regular fuel.

Scott
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
I agree, look at the fuel door and see what it says. I think (without going to look) that the 3.6 says either regular or premium fuel. The 235hp is (I'm sure) with premium.
But the engine will probably realize the octane that you put in and change the engine's tune to use it. You will get less hp with regular though.
Unless you really need a couple extra HP for towing or racing or something, and the car allows it (I'm sure it does), then go with the regular fuel.

Scott
It says 87 octane R+M/2 or 91 RON. This is for the V6 engine. Based on that we should be using 87 Octane in the US

2018 SEL Premium
White/Black
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Here’s the thing - I bought a car that makes 235hp per advertisement (238hp per the manual). VW adds a small print saying *235hp achieved with premium fuel. My gas door stickers says use unleaded regular 87. So if one is supposed to use 87 regular gas, will one be getting the 235hp advertised? No! If this is the intended fuel for the engine, what are the real HP for the car? I understand for marketing purposes VW used this bait and switch tactics. I also understand that this engine is made to work with both 87 and 93, and while it won’t get damaged with 87, it won’t produce the advertised 235hp. What would be the actual real world HP with the intended 87 - those are the numbers VW should have disclosed. Do you see my point?
Here’s another thing - I also have some slight suspicion that these stickers go on the cars before the actual engine type gets installed on the car. Case in point - the tire pressure sticker on my door says 35psi on all tires. My manual says 35psi for the v6, and 30psi (!) fr the 2.0 liter engine. Or the manuals could be written before final technical decisions are made. Go figure...

Last edited by Nick1979; 10-22-2018 at 10:19 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Just to add to the confusion: I read the entire information in the manual regarding engine HP "the maximum 238HP were achieved using REGULAR grade gasoline". So much for clarity, transparency, and technical accuracy from VW.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1979 View Post
Here’s the thing - I bought a car that makes 235hp per advertisement (238hp per the manual). VW adds a small print saying *235hp achieved with premium fuel. My gas door stickers says use unleaded regular 87. So if one is supposed to use 87 regular gas, will one be getting the 235hp advertised? No! If this is the intended fuel for the engine, what are the real HP for the car? I understand for marketing purposes VW used this bait and switch tactics. I also understand that this engine is made to work with both 87 and 93, and while it won’t get damaged with 87, it won’t produce the advertised 235hp. What would be the actual real world HP with the intended 87 - those are the numbers VW should have disclosed. Do you see my point?
Here’s another thing - I also have some slight suspicion that these stickers go on the cars before the actual engine type gets installed on the car. Case in point - the tire pressure sticker on my door says 35psi on all tires. My manual says 35psi for the v6, and 30psi (!) fr the 2.0 liter engine. Or the manuals could be written before final technical decisions are made. Go figure...
Because the 2.0 weighs less and that's why the pressure is different.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 08:55 PM

Both motors are tuned to run on 87 regular gas (Top Tier is recommended). The VR6 says it makes 280hp on reg fuel and the 2.0 238hp on reg fuel in the back of the manual in the engine data section. This seems to contradict the info on the VW site showing slightly lower numbers for the VR (275) and slightly less for the 2.0 (235 noting premium fuel). Bottom line for me...it isn't enough hps to make f all difference and just run regular and don't worry about performance minutia that nobody will be able to feel in a huge family hauler. They have tuned the vehicles to run on regular and running premium is throwing cash out the window.
Xbnch001 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page