Noise turning left - Volkswagen Atlas Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Noise turning left

Been to the VW dealership 4 times and they can’t fix it. Any ideas? https://youtu.be/wKorDssYOIE
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 11:31 AM

Chance it's the sway bar links that were knonw to be loose on some of the earlier builds? Also known issue with the struts/ strut mounts/strut bearings/strut boots...maybe?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 01:59 PM

This is going to be tough to diagnose, but to me it sounds like a rubber noise, so possibly a strut boot. But the dealer would have easily been able to identify that when putting it up on the hoist. Did they check if there was any play in the wheels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Out of the four times it has been in for this issue - 1. New stabalizer link and fixed strut boot. 2. Fixed Strut boot, 3. Replaced Strut, mount and bearing, 4. Adjusted right and left strut boots.

No play in the wheel that I’m aware of. It very likely could be the strut boots, but they have tried to fix them 3 times so either it’s not fixable, it’s not the strut boots, or they don’t know how to fix them.
I have contacted VW of A to ask about options.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 11:07 AM

My dealer says the new more "robust" rubber compound used for the CV boots is causing this noise when turning to the left. As usual VW says it's normal live with it. Their temp solution is to rub the area with silicone but it'll just wash away and you'll be back to square one.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

if they can fix it, even temporarily, then it’s a defect. You can’t apply a fix to something that is working correctly. You can modify it to work differently but you can’t fix it. So they are saying the boots were designed to make that noise?
Have you inquired about a buyback?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 11:57 AM

Buyback? Unfortunately in Canada there is no lemon law if that's what you're referring to.

Basically VW has made them aware that the boots are designed with a specific compound that exhibits these sound characteristics and therefore not considered a defect. The intended component is functioning per it's design and intent.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

I have never gone through this before but I was told by VW that they consider buyback to include both repurchase and replacement options.
I think this is slightly different than the lemon law as this buyback would be VW doing so willingly, where the lemon law would involve some legal judgement that forces VW to repurchase or replace according to your state laws.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 03:22 PM

sounds like you have to get VW on board with this buyback idea. Given VW's customer service track record you might have a challenge on your hands... Are you leasing your Atlas or Financing?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Financing through VW credit. I let them know I was open to just getting a replacement as well, just tired of all these issues.