What to love or hate about the 2018+ Volkswagen Atlas - Page 2 - Volkswagen Atlas Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 05:56 AM

The start/stop is never going to get disabled by the dealer - it's by design and part of the fuel efficiency calcs they need for the vehicle. You can however defeat it permantely with VAGCOM or OBDEleven and doing some research on how to disable it in the coding.
Administrator and typeone like this.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 08:38 AM

Garage
Plenty of room for kids and stuff on camping trips (we used to take the beetle and tent camp)
Good fuel economy (coming from a 2011 Durango Hemi)
4Motion
Lane assist

Dislikes:
Needs a button to turn off all climate control (I know its minor, but still)
Lane assist can be erratic in construction zones or old pavement
Auto stop/start

2018 Volkswagen Atlas SE w/ Technology
4Motion, Towing Package, Running boards, Kurkuma Yellow

2016 Volkswagen Beetle Classic 1.8T
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 10:51 PM

Garage
I love my 2.0L atlas SEL, tons of power woith mods I made, will blow away a V6 Atlas, big brakes front and back really make a big difference in braking. Aftermarket 20" wheels look way better than the R line ones. Everything else is a plus.
Negatives -- Fuel economy not that great for a 2.0L but power makes up for it. Cruises easily at 85 gets to 105 easily, am sure it will go much faster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 10:15 PM

Likes: size-handling-power combination with the 2.0 engine. Contrary to the many reviews I read prior to buying the car, I actually love the 2.0 engine option, and I think works well for this car. Comfort and ride, cabin styling and finish. The look of the car - it grew on me with time. Apple car play, all the safety tech features. The sound system on my SE trim is actually quite good.

Dislikes: not crazy about the stop/start , but it works great is some situations; other times I just turn it off, no big deal. The headlights - I like their looks, but not their performance. I came from a car with HID lights that I absolutely loved. I dislike the Atlase’s very mediocre headlights performance at night, with artifacts in the beam pattern on the road and generally weak and scattered output. I wonder why VW chose a purple/blue LED’s with Kelvin >6000K, instead of a pure white 5K color temperature.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 06:58 PM

Pros:

- Tons of room!
- Premium style that hasn't gotten "boring"
- Practical seats and utility
- Profiles (when my wife uses it right). I open the door with my key and everything sets itself JUST RIGHT!
- Ease of use with infotainment in regards to bluetooth (multiple phone pairing) and carplay and bluetooth audio. Works amazing!

Cons:

- Remote start range is infuriatingly poor
- Need more accessible and practical cupholders
- No sunglass holder
- Can't close lift gate by kick OR anywhere else but with the actual button on the lift gate. Why can't I close it with the fob?!? This is also infuriating.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:08 PM

Garage
Love:
Amazing use of overall space (looks smaller outsider than in)
Headroom is great
Styling
We can still get a VR6
LED lights
Tow capacity
4Motion
Standard base options include some nice amenities
Seats are comfortable
Has a spare tire
Has a shift selector that doesn't resemble knob, mouse, or toy of some kind
Good driving position
Access to third row is awesome

Dislikes
How are parking sensors not standard equipment?
Start stop impacts windshield wipers making for an odd experience in the rain
Backglass should open separate from hatch (I swear I am so bothered by this I could pay to have one custom fabricated.)
VR6 needs a turbo and better efficiency.
The fuel tank is too small
The sunglass center console on the "S" is deleted. This is just a dumb money saver.
Fabric seats should be an option on higher models than base-some of us love them!
Center USB access is below a cup holder and with no drain for liquid...did anybody think about that at VW?
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:34 PM

Atlas SE TSI..

Like almost everything very spacious, really enjoy great mileage on long trip with Turbo. Only about 4300 miles so far

Wish it came on SE model with passenger electric seats too.. only on driver side
Also wish it had 2 different features for trips as we use both for mileage and miles driven
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:40 AM

2018 Atlas SEL Premium-

-Dislikes!-
- Is a gas guzzler. I can't believe nowadays we are building family cars/SUVs in America with such horrible gas mileage. I used to shake my head when I saw Hummers on the road, but I honestly believe with the Atlas, we are not too far behind.
- 18 gal gas tank for such a size SUV? Meant to be the family road trip vehicle? C'mon!
- Not enough pick-up power. Changing lanes on the highway or having to take off quick at an intersection, is not desirable.
- I would prefer to maintain the A/C RECIRC button ON all the times. Not sure if you can configure to keep ON all the time. Seems that every time I get in the car, I have to adjust manually. If I'm wrong here, please let me know how to adjust. Thanks!
- The cheap plastic material on doors, rear by the third row/fenders, interior in general.
- It wobbles when driving on the open roads/highway. I didn't really get the wobble feeling when I test drove it around the dealership neighborhood area; now that I've been driving it for several weeks, I noticed the bouncy and wobble effect.
- Fog lights not LED.
- Interior lights now LED.

-Likes-
- Maybe the interior size; how roomy it is.

Bottom line, I seriously have regrets of buying this car. I have made mistakes (minor) in the past, but purchasing this car is definitely the top of all mistakes.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:06 AM

2018 Atlas SEL Premium-

-Dislikes!-
- Is a gas guzzler. I can't believe nowadays we are building family cars/SUVs in America with such horrible gas mileage. I used to shake my head when I saw Hummers on the road, but I honestly believe with the Atlas, we are not too far behind.
- 18 gal gas tank for such a size SUV? Meant to be the family road trip vehicle? C'mon!
- Not enough pick-up power. Changing lanes on the highway or having to take off quick at an intersection, is not desirable.
- I would prefer to maintain the A/C RECIRC button ON all the time. Not sure if you can configure to keep ON all the time. Seems that every time I get in the car, I have to adjust manually. If I'm wrong here, please let me know how to adjust. Thanks!
- The cheap plastic material on doors, rear by the third row/fenders, interior in general.
- It wobbles when driving on the open roads/highway. I didn't really get the wobble feeling when I test drove it around the dealership neighborhood area; now that I've been driving it for several weeks, I noticed the bouncy and wobble effect.
- Fog lights not LED.
- Interior lights not LED.
- No wireless phone charger. Interior is roomy enough to have this option. Atlas take pride on infosystem and digital panel. This feature is available on other VW models.

-Likes-
- Maybe the interior size; how roomy it is.

Bottom line, I seriously have regrets of buying this car. I have made mistakes (minor) in the past, but purchasing this car is definitely the top of all mistakes.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page