Atlas Buyback - How Does It Work ?? - Volkswagen Atlas Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 24
Question Atlas Buyback - How Does It Work ??

Hi Folks. Here are a few details regarding my 2019 Atlas:

- Purchase March 2019
- Now has Approximately 6K miles
- Paid Off


I have never done a buyback on any car I've owned, VW is potentially doing a buyback on mine because of concerning issues. Here are some questions and I'll appreciate anyone with knowledge on buybacks to chime in:

- Do they depreciate mileage?
- Do they also give back money I've spent on tax and tag on the car?
- I traded in a Pilot towards the Atlas and paid the difference...on a buyback do they only give me the money I paid out of pocket difference I paid?
hydroatlas is online now  
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:45 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 10
You should contact your state consumer affairs department. If there is no lemon law in your state, there probably is no standard as to what they will pay you for. I'd be interested in why they are buying it back. I've had my 2019 Atlas SE in the shop for four different issues in about two months. Good luck.
scott46travel is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 03:19 PM
Junior Member
 
MrAtlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Phoenix, AZ.
Posts: 19
A few years ago I went through this with GM on a Viberado pickup.

Find out the lemon laws in your state, file a BBB report also.
as soon as I filled out the BBB the wheels started moving.

Everything is negotiable, GM had my truck from 10/2014 until 02/2015
the key to the whole ordeal is to be respectful and keep your comments
limited, have a paper trail including phone calls with the names of
the people you talked with dates & times.


Good Luck !
MrAtlas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 06:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 182
VW buying your Atlas back is not the same as going through your stage's Lemon Laws to force them to do this. Ideally, VW just makes you whole and handles it but in the cases where it won't and you think you have a case, look in the Lemon Law for your state. You may need an attorney. You have to follow their guidance i.e. 3x in for the same thing and not fixed or X number of days out of service in the first Y months etc. Keep in mind, a rattle or noise isn't going to win you this - it needs to be something substantial and meaningful.
KarstGeo is online now  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 08:19 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 3
They bought my 2018 back with 23,000 miles on it. I got a 2019 so they went by my sales contract and took a little depreciation but gave me customer loyality dollars to make up the difference. Took about 6 - 7 weeks.
Dave is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 24
Outstanding responses and input everyone, I appreciate it! Please see my thoughts and additional info below; I've quoted each comments...


Quote:
Originally Posted by scott46travel View Post
You should contact your state consumer affairs department. If there is no lemon law in your state, there probably is no standard as to what they will pay you for. I'd be interested in why they are buying it back. I've had my 2019 Atlas SE in the shop for four different issues in about two months. Good luck.
What were your issues?


My state does have a lemon law on new cars (which mine is). The dealership replaced my torque converter and it still makes a very loud sound when I accelerate. I have told VW that I will wait and see what their verdict is on buyback, and that if needed I will indeed be contacting the state's consumer affair department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtlas View Post
A few years ago I went through this with GM on a Viberado pickup.

Find out the lemon laws in your state, file a BBB report also.
as soon as I filled out the BBB the wheels started moving.

Everything is negotiable, GM had my truck from 10/2014 until 02/2015
the key to the whole ordeal is to be respectful and keep your comments
limited, have a paper trail including phone calls with the names of
the people you talked with dates & times.
Good points. I have been respectful (although also heavy handed when needed). For example VW Corp and the dealership said that the sound and component is under allowable tolerances of how the car is manufactured and for its intended use...however I gave firm pushback and said I disagree and they need to revisit decision. VW Corp is actively looking at the case again and said they will let me know on decision by no later than end of this month...


Quote:
Originally Posted by KarstGeo View Post
VW buying your Atlas back is not the same as going through your stage's Lemon Laws to force them to do this. Ideally, VW just makes you whole and handles it but in the cases where it won't and you think you have a case, look in the Lemon Law for your state. You may need an attorney. You have to follow their guidance i.e. 3x in for the same thing and not fixed or X number of days out of service in the first Y months etc. Keep in mind, a rattle or noise isn't going to win you this - it needs to be something substantial and meaningful.
I disagree, of the course the "rattle noise" can win me this...know why? Because it isn't just a "rattle noise"; its a noise coming from my Torque Converter. The noise is coming from metal on metal; it is not normal and will directly affect my transmission.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
They bought my 2018 back with 23,000 miles on it. I got a 2019 so they went by my sales contract and took a little depreciation but gave me customer loyality dollars to make up the difference. Took about 6 - 7 weeks.
What was the issue with your Atlas that caused them to buy it back?
hydroatlas is online now  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 12:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydroatlas View Post
Outstanding responses and input everyone, I appreciate it! Please see my thoughts and additional info below; I've quoted each comments...



What were your issues?


My state does have a lemon law on new cars (which mine is). The dealership replaced my torque converter and it still makes a very loud sound when I accelerate. I have told VW that I will wait and see what their verdict is on buyback, and that if needed I will indeed be contacting the state's consumer affair department.


Good points. I have been respectful (although also heavy handed when needed). For example VW Corp and the dealership said that the sound and component is under allowable tolerances of how the car is manufactured and for its intended use...however I gave firm pushback and said I disagree and they need to revisit decision. VW Corp is actively looking at the case again and said they will let me know on decision by no later than end of this month...



I disagree, of the course the "rattle noise" can win me this...know why? Because it isn't just a "rattle noise"; its a noise coming from my Torque Converter. The noise is coming from metal on metal; it is not normal and will directly affect my transmission.



What was the issue with your Atlas that caused them to buy it back?
I understand your concern as we have discussed on this board before w/r to the noise. However, I disagree with your assessment. You are getting a noise related to transmission shift mapping - there is not metal/metal wear going on - it's a hydraulic pump noise from cavitation (this is my opinion). So they buy your Atlas back b/c you don't like the noise (understandable). Now what do they do with the other bazillion owners that also have this noise and have complained about it? VW had said repeatedly said that this is not an issue. You had your t-converter replaced and that didn't fix it (b/c it's the transmission logic with this hardware). Just trying to set a realistic expectation for you but you will do as you are goign to do. Good luck and am certainly interested in the outcome/what VW says! Mine does this and I hear it maybe once per drive, maybe. This in no way would justify the hassle/money loss associated with a buy-back b/c they are not going to give you all your money back - you will eat the depreciation at some level.
KarstGeo is online now  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarstGeo View Post
I understand your concern as we have discussed on this board before w/r to the noise. However, I disagree with your assessment. You are getting a noise related to transmission shift mapping - there is not metal/metal wear going on - it's a hydraulic pump noise from cavitation (this is my opinion). So they buy your Atlas back b/c you don't like the noise (understandable). Now what do they do with the other bazillion owners that also have this noise and have complained about it? VW had said repeatedly said that this is not an issue. You had your t-converter replaced and that didn't fix it (b/c it's the transmission logic with this hardware). Just trying to set a realistic expectation for you but you will do as you are goign to do. Good luck and am certainly interested in the outcome/what VW says! Mine does this and I hear it maybe once per drive, maybe. This in no way would justify the hassle/money loss associated with a buy-back b/c they are not going to give you all your money back - you will eat the depreciation at some level.
Hi sir, I appreciate your reply and input; as I do value it.


Let me ask you something, if the noise is coming due to transmission mapping (logic)...doesn't that mean that improper mapping such as the car being in the incorrect gear and hanging onto that gear for longer (thus creating the sound)...doesn't that mean that noise (even if from cavitation) is not normal? I get it that there is an explanation for the noise, I'm not looking for that.


What I'm looking for is what I should deduce from that sound...should I deduce that the sound is a warning that if present long enough; it will add to wear and tear earlier than normal on warrantable components? The real concern being if things happen OUTSIDE warranty.
hydroatlas is online now  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydroatlas View Post
Hi sir, I appreciate your reply and input; as I do value it.


Let me ask you something, if the noise is coming due to transmission mapping (logic)...doesn't that mean that improper mapping such as the car being in the incorrect gear and hanging onto that gear for longer (thus creating the sound)...doesn't that mean that noise (even if from cavitation) is not normal? I get it that there is an explanation for the noise, I'm not looking for that.


What I'm looking for is what I should deduce from that sound...should I deduce that the sound is a warning that if present long enough; it will add to wear and tear earlier than normal on warrantable components? The real concern being if things happen OUTSIDE warranty.
How do you convince VW that the noise/operating condition isn't normal and therefore a problem? What evidence do you have/proof that this noise will lead to a catastrophic failure in the future? To be totally honest, I think you are over-analyzing/worrying about this - you have a 6/72K warranty. It appears that most if not all of them make some type of noise (varies in loudness) under these conditions. I'd say if VW came out in 5 years that they are re-programming transmissions b/c of this issue and you were outside of your warranty, it woudl extend to you, especially if you have it documented with VW while it was under warranty. Again, I think you are over-worrying here and I find it highly unlikely that you would get a buyback on this noise - so many have complained with no action.
KarstGeo is online now  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarstGeo View Post
How do you convince VW that the noise/operating condition isn't normal and therefore a problem? What evidence do you have/proof that this noise will lead to a catastrophic failure in the future? To be totally honest, I think you are over-analyzing/worrying about this - you have a 6/72K warranty. It appears that most if not all of them make some type of noise (varies in loudness) under these conditions. I'd say if VW came out in 5 years that they are re-programming transmissions b/c of this issue and you were outside of your warranty, it woudl extend to you, especially if you have it documented with VW while it was under warranty. Again, I think you are over-worrying here and I find it highly unlikely that you would get a buyback on this noise - so many have complained with no action.
UPDATE

VW Corp got back to me; they will not offer a buyback on my car. I disagree with the notion that just because Atlas' present this noise that it is normal; no it is not normal. That is just VW's way of skirting the fact that they dropped the ball on this one. For any car this sound should not exist, but particularly for one close to $50K price it SHOULD NOT exist! I will be contacting my state's consumer affairs department as a next step

KarstGeo, I don't think this is me overworrying as much as it is me trying to be proactive for myself and for all consumers interested in this vehicle where people put their hard earned dollars into!
hydroatlas is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome