A/C Smell - Volkswagen Atlas Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
A/C Smell

I have noticed for a while now that when I turn on my A/C there is a very bad chemical smell, for at least 5 minutes. The heat is fine, it's only when I turn on the A/C. I have 30K on my Atlas, and have all the scheduled maintenance done. Anybody else notice anything?
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:25 PM

YES!!! My wife has been complaining for the past month that when she turns it on it stinks. She says it smells like stinky feet and chemicals. This can’t be a coincidence. I was trying to wait until we took it back for and oil change or something to have them look at it. I may have to do it sooner now that I know it isn’t just her.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 12:27 PM

I just came to post a similar issue! Our Atlas is now just about two years old and I've not had a smell issue until recently. Really since it came back a few months ago from the catalytic convertor fix. Anyhow, I don't notice a stink until I put the vehicle into reverse. Then it is an almost overwhelming chemical smell… almost like burning washer fluid or something. Has nothing to do with what setting my air is on, only that it is on. Totally bizarre… but it is noxious! I'm so fed up with taking this thing back into the shop I have just dealt with it and thankfully it has gotten warmer around here where I haven't been using the air that much.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page