Does your Atlas pull to the right? - Volkswagen Atlas Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By hfqkhal

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Does your Atlas pull to the right?

Short of it --

My 2018 Atlas SEL Premium pulls to the right. Drive straight in the middle of the lane on the freeway at 65 mph, let go of the wheel, 4 seconds later I'm on the right lane line.

Had the car aligned, still pulls. Test drove a 2019 Atlas (no 2018 available), it does the exact same thing.

Try it next time you're on the freeway. Does your's do it too?

Long of it --

Bought a 2018 Atlas SEL Premium demo model (the GM of the dealership drove it for 8 months putting 6k miles on it).

I live in Vegas, bought the car at Capitol VW in San Jose, CA for $39,500. Smokin deal, right? Or was it? The entire drive from SJ to Vegas I had to keep pressure on the wheel to keep it in the lane.

Called Capitol VW, they sent me to my local dealership to get it aligned. They where surprised the alignment was out to begin with got got it in spec. But it didn't solve the problem at all. Took it back, they aligned it again cuz it was out again, test drove it, and it was out again. They then loosened everything underneath down to the subframe, realigned it again and test drove it. They claimed it now only pulls right due to road crown. I asked what could possibly be the cause and they said if a vehicle is tied down too tight on a transport truck it can pull parts out of alignment and that's why loosening everything down to the subframe fixed it. While it is better, it definitely still pulls right.

I drive straight in the middle of a lane on the freeway at 65 mph, let go of the wheel and 4 seconds (literally) I'm on the right lane line. My friend drove it and he said it definitely pulls right and it's not normal.

Took a road trip (that I was going on anyway) back to SJ. Took it back to Capitol VW. I test drove a 2019 Atlas and it behaved exactly the same way. They inspected the alignment and said it's in spec.

Only thing I can think is that VW considers this a safety feature: if you fall asleep the car will veer right and not left into oncoming traffic. But really? So now under normal driving I have to steer left all the time to stay in the lane? (I asked the tech at Capitol if the electronic steering can be set to drive to the left by half a degree and he said that would cause all kinds of errors and the computer would freak out.)

Yes, I took road crown into account. Only if the road is sloped to the left at just the right angle will it stay straight. Even on a slightly left sloped road will it pull right.

Yes, I turned lane assist on and off. Makes no difference.

Next time you're on the freeway, go straight on a straight section of road, let go of the wheel, how long does it take to reach either lane line?
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:33 AM

Mine does not pull at all. my recommendation is also check the tire pressure on all tires. In another car a 2 psi difference caused his to happen so when ever I felt a pull it was always corrected with equal tire pressure.
Xbnch001 likes this.

2018 Atlas SEL Premium - Deep Black Pearl with with Titan Black Leather - Sep 2018 Build
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:10 AM

Tire pressure, uneven tread wear, warped rotors and sticky calipers can all cause a vehicle to pull to one side. If you've already had your Atlas aligned several times id confirm that everything is set right with your brakes and possibly even the suspension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:59 PM

I have a similar situation to yours. It’s pulled to the right since the beginning. I took it in around 4,000 miles and they aligned it. No difference. I took it back for another alignment at the dealer and there is no improvement. I’ve got just over 31,000 miles on it now, and I notice a minor difference in side to side rear on the tires-the right side is a little different than the left. I’m hoping it’ll improve when it’s time for tires, but for now, it’s a bit frustrating.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Put left side tires at 36 psi and the rights at 38 psi. Still pulls right.

Figured out it pulls much worse under acceleration.

Went to the dealership and test drove another 2019 Atlas and it steers completely differently than mine. Nice and straight and well mannered. Not all twitchy and right pulling like mine.

Dropping the car off tomorrow night at the dealership shop for more work.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcworship View Post
I have a similar situation to yours. It’s pulled to the right since the beginning. I took it in around 4,000 miles and they aligned it. No difference. I took it back for another alignment at the dealer and there is no improvement. I’ve got just over 31,000 miles on it now, and I notice a minor difference in side to side rear on the tires-the right side is a little different than the left. I’m hoping it’ll improve when it’s time for tires, but for now, it’s a bit frustrating.
Interesting. It's more than frustrating for me ... my left thumb get sore from fighting the electronic steering.

It's not right and should be fixed. I'm just gonna keep sending it back to their shop till it's fixed or until it's spent 30 days there, then invoke the Lemon Law and go from there.

Does your's pull harder to the right under semi-hard acceleration?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:05 PM

Ours does the same exact thing... but it didn't until some dumb b!tch on her cell phone merged into our passenger side from an on ramp at 70mph. Rear door skin had to be replaced (fyi, all replacement door skins do NOT have the factory sound damping on the skin... seriously sucks), front door had to have a bunch of work done. All lower plastic had to be replaced on the passenger side doors and wheel wells.

Since then it pulls right. 3 alignments at the VW dealership in Fort Walton Beach, FL haven't fixed the pull AND I notice a steering wheel wobble under acceleration.

My hunch is, bent control arm, damaged CV joint, bent tie rods. Either one or a combination of them.

I never had this problem until that giant 400lb woman sideswiped us while texting. To make the story better, she gave false insurance! Karma came back around though, her old insurance ratted her out and gave us her new insurer and policy number. The NEW insurer hasn't been able to contact her (she would hang up on them) and hasn't responded to certified mail, so they dropped her, paid our claim, and are taking her to court.

We owned our Atlas for 6 months trouble free for 12,000 miles (HUGE family road trip across the US) until that horrible woman irreparably damaged it. We've now got a super loud rear passenger door, an acceleration wobble, and a steering wheel right pull...

Edit: Don't know if it's relevant, but mine has 4motion.

Last edited by WestB87; 04-18-2019 at 07:10 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page