Battery Issues - Volkswagen Atlas Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Battery Issues

Wondering if anyone has had battery issues and if there has been any news on when new batteries will be available. I'm on my third battery in less than two years. I live in MN and the cold has killed my battery twice. The first time the dealer lied to me and said VW had fixed the issue with a new battery design. Then it happened again. This time I demanded the truth and the dealer told me no new issue had been released but one was on the way. Not holding my breath.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 08:18 AM

Have you tried hooking up your battery to a tender on those colder evenings? Sometimes is just the contacts that will prevent the car from turning over during extreme temps. There have been plenty of reports of battery issues on the Atlas, with no official solution or fix from VW. https://ca.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t73111_ds837472
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

The first time it happened we were winter camping. Temps around -10. Usually I keep it garaged but the second time the temp wasnít even below zero. I shouldnít have to deal with a tender unless itís -20. Iíve lived in MN FOR 20+ years and the only time I had an issue on a vehicle it was -30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamron View Post
Have you tried hooking up your battery to a tender on those colder evenings? Sometimes is just the contacts that will prevent the car from turning over during extreme temps. There have been plenty of reports of battery issues on the Atlas, with no official solution or fix from VW. https://ca.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t73111_ds837472
people who are having battery issues are getting replacements ones which are made by a different manufacturer. The first ones were having cell issues and the new ones have resolved the issues.

2018 Atlas SEL Premium - Deep Black Pearl with with Titan Black Leather - Sep 2018 Build
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:49 PM

We also had to change our battery at about 7 months. The remote start feature of our 2018 Atlas SEL R line stopped working and the dealer told us that the battery’s charge was very low so they replaced it. Remote start worked for about a week then failed again. Long story short, it turned out that it was somehow related to the catalytic converter which was replaced as well (plus fuel injector before that). Going back to the battery issue, we haven’t had to replace it after the replacement was installed.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:20 PM

In January 2019, my car was struggling to start. My VW dealership said to bring it in ASAP. Battery test didn't pass and I was given new battery. A week later I had to bring it back for them to do some type of software update related to the battery. Two months later, my car was struggling to start again. Took it in but they said it passed the battery test. Maybe related to weather they said, but I doubt it...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:28 PM

It might be a good idea to ask for the battery information. Even if it means asking the parts desk guy. Good information to know if you want to be proactive at keeping issues like this at bay. From my experience, having that sort of knowledge goes a long way.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:50 AM

How long is the original battery warrantied for ?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page