Interior materials quality/popping noise from dash - Volkswagen Atlas Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Interior materials quality/popping noise from dash

Hello, I have a 2018 SE. Wanted to see if anyone is experiencing a quick popping like noise stemming from the right passenger dashboard near the vent. Predominantly occurs when driving over bumps and seems to increase in frequency in cold weather and when the heat is turned on. I am assuming it is just the hard plastic materials on the dash, especially with the temperature differences. Pressing the wood panel and dashboard, I am able to replicate it. Not something that I would do anything about as the there are no other issues with the interior, it just gets quite annoying. Just curious if others have had something similar with theirs. Thanks.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 08:24 AM

You could reach out to your dealer about having more insulation placed, as there may be rubbing between the different panels. Have heard reports of a lot of new cars with popping noises, especially as the cabin temperature fluctuates.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 08:39 AM

Haven't seen this mentioned specially on the Atlas, but I would imagine its not all that difficult to address. If you know where exactly the flexing and rubbing is occurring, the dealer should be able to open up the dash and make some adjustments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlandup View Post
Hello, I have a 2018 SE. Wanted to see if anyone is experiencing a quick popping like noise stemming from the right passenger dashboard near the vent. Predominantly occurs when driving over bumps and seems to increase in frequency in cold weather and when the heat is turned on. I am assuming it is just the hard plastic materials on the dash, especially with the temperature differences. Pressing the wood panel and dashboard, I am able to replicate it. Not something that I would do anything about as the there are no other issues with the interior, it just gets quite annoying. Just curious if others have had something similar with theirs. Thanks.
I had that issue, but it was in the middle of the center consul, with my Nissan Murano and it was annoying. It only appeared in real cold weather and once the interior of the car got really warm it stopped. Unfortunately that happened right after the warrantee ran out and I lived with it. But for you since it seems that you can replicate I would advise that you visit the dealer as this will most likely be a simple tightening of a just loose part.

2018 Atlas SEL Premium - Deep Black Pearl with with Titan Black Leather - Sep 2018 Build
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 08:34 AM

Since your car is still under warranty, there is no harm in seeing if your dealer can make some adjustments to get rid of the sound or at least make it less pronounced. I would just mention it during your next service to see if they have any immediate solutions in mind.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 12:16 PM

Keep us posted on how your experience goes at the dealer to get this done.
From my experience in the past getting jobs like this done, its been a hit or miss, often a miss.
Fortunately being something easy enough to do yourself if you want a real long term solution might just take about $10-20 on insulation foam and a weekend
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar View Post
Keep us posted on how your experience goes at the dealer to get this done.
From my experience in the past getting jobs like this done, its been a hit or miss, often a miss.
Fortunately being something easy enough to do yourself if you want a real long term solution might just take about $10-20 on insulation foam and a weekend
For my old Murano, they quoted me a price of $500 as they needed to take the whole dash apart to get to it. It only had 20K miles on it and was 2 months after the warrantee ran out. So my way to stop the noise to bang on the dash a couple times and it stopped it (had to do that every time it occurred) Later on they told me there is seepage from the transfer case and the labor cost to fix was close to $3K and the same for the steering. So I said goodby to Nissan for ever and any car that has CVT. So when I look at VW now, with their 6 year warrantee I also found out if you hear squeaks and noise you better get it fixed fast as the noise part is only covered for one year. I advise the op to get it documented at the dealer for a fix so later no bad encounters.

2018 Atlas SEL Premium - Deep Black Pearl with with Titan Black Leather - Sep 2018 Build
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 10:55 AM

I refuse to buy any car with a CVT, with the exception of maybe something from Subaru. They've been developing that kind of transmission long enough that its a lot more refined than what we are seeing from other automakers imo.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page