Catalytic Converter bad; 900+ Atlas also need this - Volkswagen Atlas Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Catalytic Converter bad; 900+ Atlas also need this

2018 Atlas purchased in June 2018. 26000 miles. I have spent hours and days at the dealer with many problems on this car. Sigh.

During the cold weather in January, I drove my car @ 5 miles, then drove to 2 other places for errands. Car started no problem. After stopping for about 10 minutes, I came out and car would not start. Clicking noise and dashboard icons flashing, EPC and check engine icon stay on. Got the battery jumped, meter says it is 50% power. Charged battery at home. Car started and ran fine for 2 days. On the 3rd day, battery dead again, jump-started and let run for 20 minutes. EPC and engine icons lit up again. Attempted to drive to dealer but car cannot go more than 13 mph. car runs ragged, sluggish. Waited for VW tow to arrive (3+ hours) never showed up. I try to start car ( it sat outside in -20 degrees for 3 hours) and it starts right up. No EPC or engine icons on. Car drives fine. Dealer replaced battery but could not do anything about EPC code. Told to come back next time the icon comes on. Convenient!

Next day, car starts fine. EPC light comes on after 2nd stop. Sunday so I can't take it in. Next day (a Monday) , EPC light and engine light on. Dealer is able to clear code then drives car for an hour until the EPC code comes back on, Diagnosed as bad catalytic converter. Parts on backorder as 900+ other Atlas's also have this problem. No ETA on when this can be fixed and I am basically limited to local driving. I am afraid of power loss as reported by other drivers with EPC code problems.

This is the final straw for me. Once this is fixed I am selling and finding a more reliable 3-row vehicle.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:29 PM

Sorry to hear about your experience with the Atlas which has become common among many owners contradicting the volume of these out on the street signaling its a good buy.
I won't mind hearing what else you're considering because odds are it will benefit the rest of us looking to go the same path.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 11:00 AM

This is why finding a dependable and trustworthy dealer is such an important aspect of buying a new vehicle. If they had been more forthcoming with a solution and made getting your issues addressed a priority, you probably won't be contemplating getting rid of it altogether. Have you always gone to the same dealer for service?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamron View Post
This is why finding a dependable and trustworthy dealer is such an important aspect of buying a new vehicle. If they had been more forthcoming with a solution and made getting your issues addressed a priority, you probably won't be contemplating getting rid of it altogether. Have you always gone to the same dealer for service?
So true. I feel lucky to have a few within a 30 minutes radius but my closest has a good rep for their service (the 2 closest ones have good reps and that comes from family members who service their VWs at both dealerships). I have dropped in on my dealership a couple of times without calling and the service people treated me as like owning a top line luxury car and they made sure that before I headed out that there is no pending things on my Atlas.

On my prior Nissan Murano, well in the start they were good (not very or great) until they changed the whole service staff which turned them to the worst and most dishonest service advisors I have ever dealt with. Back in NY when I got my Audi A4 and it has been years since the dealership still calls me for the heck of it and their service was always tops.

2018 Atlas SEL Premium - Deep Black Pearl with with Titan Black Leather - Sep 2018 Build
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 08:27 AM

We've been hearing about issues with the catalytic converter on the Atlas for months now, so it's not surprising to hear they have a huge backlog of parts on order. Imo they should be providing you some sort of loaner in the interim if the car is constantly dying on you. I would not be risking longer trips either.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanus View Post
We've been hearing about issues with the catalytic converter on the Atlas for months now, so it's not surprising to hear they have a huge backlog of parts on order. Imo they should be providing you some sort of loaner in the interim if the car is constantly dying on you. I would not be risking longer trips either.
What you get while your vehicle is in for service depends on the dealer.
Sometimes you get a loaner which technically is another VW product that's comparable, or they just give you a rental if none of those loaners are around.
Great time to test new products at no cost to you
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 08:30 AM

It's a shame that your dealer doesn't seem interested in keeping your business, because if they were they would be more forthcoming with support and answers. With the severity of the problems that you are experiencing you would think they would be escalating your repair as a priority. Completely understand how these issues have you considering something else altogether.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 07:11 PM

Our 2018 Atlas SEL had the same issue with the catalytic converter going bad. Before that, they replaced the fuel injector. All issues started after the software update was done. Firat, the remote start stopped working. Took it back to the dealer and they said it was a weak/faulty battery so they replaced it. After a couple of weeks, remote start stopped working again. They then replaced the fuel injector. Then after a couple of weeks, the check engine light came on which meant that the remote start would not work because apparently that’s how it is with the Atlas. Last diagnosis was that the catalytic converter needed to be replaced. This was in mid-January. We drove the car home with the check engine light on since the part was on backorder. Dealer said it’s safe unless the check engine light changes to a blinking red. Then we need to stop driving it and call VW towing service. Fortunately, the part came after about 3 weeks. It’s been 3 weeks since the catalytic converter was replaced. So far, so good.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickandgen View Post
Our 2018 Atlas SEL had the same issue with the catalytic converter going bad. Before that, they replaced the fuel injector. All issues started after the software update was done. Firat, the remote start stopped working. Took it back to the dealer and they said it was a weak/faulty battery so they replaced it. After a couple of weeks, remote start stopped working again. They then replaced the fuel injector. Then after a couple of weeks, the check engine light came on which meant that the remote start would not work because apparently thatís how it is with the Atlas. Last diagnosis was that the catalytic converter needed to be replaced. This was in mid-January. We drove the car home with the check engine light on since the part was on backorder. Dealer said itís safe unless the check engine light changes to a blinking red. Then we need to stop driving it and call VW towing service. Fortunately, the part came after about 3 weeks. Itís been 3 weeks since the catalytic converter was replaced. So far, so good.
Seeing, that the owners who had this issue, appear after the software update, I can only think of either the update was too stringent that caused those to appear and needed to be replaced or the the software update was specificaly programed to catch these issues so the effected part can be caught and replaced. In either way, owners will end up with the proper result and hopefully this will do it. In my '18 Sep. build Atlas, so far there is no software update for it and have not experienced any of the issues. Almost 2K on it and 5 months into ownership I only had the dealer add coolant as it was on the low side and the coolant level has held steady since that time.

2018 Atlas SEL Premium - Deep Black Pearl with with Titan Black Leather - Sep 2018 Build
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 08:17 PM

Add us to the list 2018 with ~6k Miles and ~1 year of ownership

Car has been with VW for 3 weeks, just opened a case with VW America to get something going here... dealer has been great, but parts should go to the delivered cars vs. selling new ones.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page