noise while accelerating on lower gear - Volkswagen Atlas Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation noise while accelerating on lower gear

I drive an Atlas 3.6, 2018 model (approx 9K Miles). Since the day I've driven the car, I hear a sort of grinding noise of metal plates while suddenly accelerating on lower gears . Also I hear this grinding noise, while I switch off the engine. Anyone, with the same experience???
Vwgrog likes this.
post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 08:45 AM

Discussed ad-nauseum here, on vwvortex, and the FB groups. Do some searching...you will find all sorts of info that will tell you nothing...not a single person has had an actual issue related to it AND no dealer that I have found through researching this issue (I have it too) has done a thing about it b/c I don't think there is anything wrong. Lots of speculation but again, zero issues but a noise that can be somewhat annoying. The tranny just needs to kick down to 2 vs. hanging in 3 which is the source of the noise and I speculate they just need a tranny re-program to sort it out. Here's a video of mine:

Noise after shut-off is related to the start/stop system and is not an issue. Search etc. will find info again, that points to no issue/they all do it/it's normal/move along.
Vwgrog and amalanrajan like this.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalanrajan View Post
I drive an Atlas 3.6, 2018 model (approx 9K Miles). Since the day I've driven the car, I hear a sort of grinding noise of metal plates while suddenly accelerating on lower gears . Also I hear this grinding noise, while I switch off the engine. Anyone, with the same experience???
i have the same probles and not just me. maybe in this site no one has it. google it. and you will find a lot of people with the same issue. i tooked my atlas to vw dealer and as expected they denied the problem.
amalanrajan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlyLV View Post
i have the same probles and not just me. maybe in this site no one has it. google it. and you will find a lot of people with the same issue. i tooked my atlas to vw dealer and as expected they denied the problem.
Who says this is a problem? Just because a vehicle makes a noise etc. that your'e not used to doesn't mean anything is actually wrong...
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Visited the dealer. On inspection and test driving other new cars, they confirmed that its not an issue. Noise in 3rd gear was noticed in "all" Atlas vehicles.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalanrajan View Post
Visited the dealer. On inspection and test driving other new cars, they confirmed that its not an issue. Noise in 3rd gear was noticed in "all" Atlas vehicles.
Yep...that seems to be the consensus.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 02:10 PM

Angry

Hello. I joined this forum specifically because I was hoping somebody could tell me more about this noise problem, which I also have had since I bought my 2018 Atlas 3.6

My dealer admits that it is present in most/all of the Atlas cars. Doesn't know what it is.
I do consider this a problem. Gives me the creeps every time I accelerate uphill. What if the transmission wears out early? I don't want to live/drive like that. Does anybody know if this could be a valid reason for a return of the car?
Vwgrog and amalanrajan like this.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 05:46 PM

I have not heard one story on the forums/FB etc. of a tranny going out related to this noise..zero. It's fine. You have a 72K warranty. It's not a valid reason to return a car and expect a buy back etc. b/c it makes a noise that most of them make. It only does it once in a while, it doesn't bother me.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 08:21 AM

Other owners have experienced much more serious issues, so I don't think a simple noise will warrant any kind of lemon claim. Also if your car is brand new, the sound could become less noticeable with wear in. As KarstGeo has said there is no correlation between this noise and transmission problems.
amalanrajan likes this.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 05:32 PM

Sometimes it helps to get a second opinion from tech's if you're lucky to find one that will spend the time. I suggest going that route if you can.
amalanrajan likes this.