noise while accelerating on lower gear - Page 2 - Volkswagen Atlas Forum
 13Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar View Post
Sometimes it helps to get a second opinion from tech's if you're lucky to find one that will spend the time. I suggest going that route if you can.
Let's put it this way if there is a trany issue I could guarantee you that a dealership will push the client to make a lot of noise. If you ask why, it is because the dealership will end up making a lot more money for such a great amount of work.

The ones that have complained and where some have reported that a reset did the trick for them. May be the rest should first ask for that reset first and then if that does not do it go for the next step. lemon Laws are there to protect consumers and not there to be taken advantage off.
amalanrajan likes this.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Unread 03-20-2019, 03:37 PM

I've driven many different vehicles with start/stop systems including other VW models and none have had this audible issue. Driving through a parking garage with the radio off, I thought someone else's vehicle was making that grinding noise. It only happens when you initially start accelerating (low gears) it can be heard by anyone outside the Atlas but not really inside unless the window(s) is down or everything is off inside. The last rounds of recalls I thought for sure they would've fixed this sound with half or more of the 2018 models experiencing it. Metal on Metal is bound to wear down and of course it will happen after the warranty is expired no matter how long it is. My wife loves the Atlas but I'm not happy with the sound of inevitability.
Vwgrog and amalanrajan like this.

2018 Atlas SE - MOM
2015 Chevy Silverado - DAD
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Unread 03-23-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon A Boone View Post
I've driven many different vehicles with start/stop systems including other VW models and none have had this audible issue. Driving through a parking garage with the radio off, I thought someone else's vehicle was making that grinding noise. It only happens when you initially start accelerating (low gears) it can be heard by anyone outside the Atlas but not really inside unless the window(s) is down or everything is off inside. The last rounds of recalls I thought for sure they would've fixed this sound with half or more of the 2018 models experiencing it. Metal on Metal is bound to wear down and of course it will happen after the warranty is expired no matter how long it is. My wife loves the Atlas but I'm not happy with the sound of inevitability.
There is some confusion here. The noise you are describing is not related to the start stop; the noise after turn you car off that is often discussed is related to it from what I have found/researched.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Unread 03-28-2019, 09:05 AM

I have the same issue. My Atlas was one of the first off the lot and I started hearing it soon after. Had it in multiple times and even had a regional quality control guy from out of state go for a ride with me to help diagnose. Never figured it out. Now I just live with fact I have a $40k+ vehicle that sounds like a 20 year old rust bucket driving through the neighborhood. I donít care if it is a sound that is normal but doesnít sound normal. It sounds cheap and itís annoying and that should be something VW should be concerned with.
Vwgrog likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Unread 04-03-2019, 08:38 PM

Yes, like most, I have this expensive car that makes heads turn whenever I go up a slight incline. I have taken it to dealership and of course they could not replicate it. I suppose I'll have to make a full time job of taking care of my Atlas issues.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Unread 04-08-2019, 02:56 PM

I've got a 2019 Atlas and have a grinding issue as well (existed the day I got it, of course didn't figure it out until after I drove off the lot). The noise sounds are identical to the noise in the video posted on this thread earlier (12-30-2018, 07:45 AM). Frequently occurs when going up hills under 30mph under slight acceleration. I've actually recreated my grinding sound without the vehicle moving. I put one foot on the brake, put the car in drive, and slightly press down on the accelerator - this causes the grinding to occur, but only at the sweet spot of just a little bit more than barely pressing the accelerator. What's bizarre is that while doing that (and while the grinding sound is occurring), if I move the shifter to the right (put in manual shift mode) then the sound goes away - if I put the shifter back to the left (automatic shift mode), the sound returns. I can go back and forth with the shifter and the grinding sounds comes and goes consistently. I've tested and confirmed this occurs in Economy, Normal and Sport modes. I know there's been talk about this occurring when the car is in a specific gear, but for the grinding issue I have, I believe I have eliminated a specific gear(s) as the cause of the problem. Also believe this eliminates my initial theory that the transmission was just at the point of a downshift when the grinding sound occurred. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'd appreciate it if anyone who has the grinding sound can confirm if they can also recreate it following the steps I've outlined. I've got an appt setup in a few weeks at the dealership...I'd like to go there armed with a bit more info on what others are experienced.
Vwgrog likes this.