Replacing cats on 6 month old Atlas???? - Volkswagen Atlas Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Replacing cats on 6 month old Atlas????

Hey there, we've had quite a few issues with our Atlas since we purchased it in January!!!

This is now our 4th time to the dealership in 6 months! Anyone else having these issues?

1) Check engine light on - for evaporative fuel system issue. Replaced sensor
2) Check engine light on - for evaporative fuel system issue. Replaced evap canister
3) Check engine light on - for evaporative fuel system issue. Tech had kinked a hose when replacing the canister.

4)Check engine light on intermittently - they're saying it's for the catalytic converters and they need to be replaced, will take 4+ days to get the parts and fix...

Is this happening to anyone else out there? Never seen cats have to be replaced on a car so early in life... did we get a lemon?
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 01:52 PM

Try another dealer - those guys are just throwing parts at the problem, in the hopes that they'll make the issue go way. It's not the car, it's the inept service dept.
Xbnch001 likes this.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 08:50 PM

^^^This.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Starting to think you guys may be right! They've had our Atlas for about a week now... getting really tired of this loaner Passat.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

So... update. Volkswagen corporate is now involved... No one can seem to give me an explanation as to why our Atlas needs new cats, AND its' gonna take another week and a half to get the parts... Strange since the factory is only 6 hours away.. this must mean they're replacing a ton of cats of Atlas's right? Also interesting I got a recall letter in the mail about the emissions label being wrong... think they messed up their software since everything seems to be related to the emissions system? Feeling frustrated...
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 05:39 PM

The sticker that needs to be replaced is simply related to the fact the current label is non-compliant with regulatory requirements....nothing to do with software etc. Your cat issues are just what they are maybe...issues with the cats.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 09:24 PM

We are also having issues with the check engine light constantly on and off and roof leak. The dealer has said that it is reprogramming/ sensor and software updates. The dealer claimed the sunroof was not closing due to sensor and software updates as well as the check engine light. I have contacted VW corporate and have been assigned a regional case manager. The check engine keeps coming back on right after we leave the dealer. The latest is that the check engine light is due to the catalytic converter is bad and needs to be replaced. Parts are not available to fix and on order approximately a week for delivery. Parts in and scheduled to be replaced in about a week and a half from today. Our Atlas has been back to the dealer it seems on a biweekly basis with constant issues and recalls. We have had the vehicle for about 6 months and are frustrated with the back and forth with VW corporate and the Regoinal Case Mananger. We have filed under the lemon law with VW corporate and put them on notice. If the check engine light goes on after the catalytic converter replacement or the roof leaks the lemon law will take effect.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 01:20 PM

Atlas Cat Converter issues...

I had 3 check engine lights in 2 weeks that would not clear on 2018 Atlas. They just called me to say they need to replace the catalytic converter to get the codes to stick. No ETA on parts or how long it will take to fix. I had to speak to a senior service advisor to finally get this info. they "newer" service adviser either did not have the knowlede, or was willing to tell me the issue the first 2 times.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 06:15 PM

I purchased a 2018 R-Line SE in January and am having the same issues (in addition to the numerous recalls). It started with the check engine light turning off and on intermittently about 2 months ago. Now it just stays on. I have been in contact with my local dealer and corporate and so far no resolution or explanation. This is my third VW and I have always defended my decision to stick with a make with a less than perfect rep because I was beyond satisfied with the product. Now I’m not so sure...
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 02:00 PM

We've had the same issues. Evap sensor replaced ~a month ago. Now waiting for a new cat converter. Parts are on backorder for a month; our service said there are 100+ other requests in front of us, so this doesn't seem like an isolated issue.

Last edited by krollster; 12-07-2018 at 02:02 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page