Cold test : FAILED - Volkswagen Atlas Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Cold test : FAILED

It's really cold in Canada those days. It was -23 C ( -10 Farhenheit) north of Montreal this morning and my Atlas (v6 4motion) failed to start. The battery simply couldn't start the engine. I had to get a boost from my stepbrother Ford F-150 (you can easily see the smile on his face).
This is not normal. My Atlas has less the 7 000 miles. It's a new car. My dealer could only schedule an appointement on January 5th. Until then I am stuck with an unreliable car, always fearing that it won't start during this cold wave that will last and few more days.
The battery failed me before two weeks ago, for no apparent reason, when the temperature wasn't so hard (like 14 F / -10C). Combined with the strong smell of gaz after ignition during cold morning, I feel the Atlas is not a great winter car. I am not happy.
Anyone experienced something similar?
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 08:48 AM

Remote starting in cold 3 times or more has left the cabin with an extremely strong smell of gasoline. Dealer is inspecting it today. If they can't find the problem it will be escalated to VW Canada immediately. Stay tuned
Newton1319 likes this.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 08:50 AM

Also, battery has already been replaced. CAA has told me that they've seen several Atlas's with bad batteries. My dealership was awesome as they replaced the battery no questions asked. No more problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the hope!
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 09:52 PM

My 2018 with 6500 km wouldn't start, two days earlier gave a low voltage message. Road side said 12-18 hours for a boost, got it to the dealer, 7-10 business days to get a battery. Funny thing is, next morning, I am at the Post Office and one is getting boosted in the parking lot. But a comment on Twitter, other owner is stuck in the maritimes with the same problem. I think it is more than a battery.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 11:54 PM

I had my battery replaced for "a bad cell" at 1300km! But I'm still getting an 'auto start-stop' error. Not really impressed so far but hoping things will get better as I like everything (except the reliability) about this vehicle
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 07:06 AM

Same thing happen to me yesterday, battery just died with only 10,000km on it. This does sound like a battery issue, more of a electrical draw/ alternator design issue.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 08:55 AM

They had this problem with the Touareg's in 2004 and all the first year models needed new main harnesses. I think this is bigger than just a bad battery, weak charging system, inadequate sized battery, combined with cold weather. Too many cases to just be batteries, there are only a few battery manufactures world wide and if the supply to VW was this poor, they would be out of business. Sounds more like a draw/ charging issue.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

The right battery?

My dealer recognized that there is something wrong with my battery. He will change it as soon as he can get his hands on a new one. Problem is, he can't find one.
Despite telling me, prior to my visit, that he could always grab one out of one of the Atlas he has in stock, it seem that my very specific battery model is nowhere to be found in his inventory. Hum... I own a trendline 4motion, a very common model.
He says my battery is a 000915105FC model, which, after some research, is the model for Golf R and Audi S3, both cars with engine and spec very different from my Atlas.

I fear I had the wrong battery model to start with and installing the same battery will lead to the same results (battery failure after 12 000km).

Can anyone tell me the battery model on their Atlas?
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 08:31 AM

I have a Trendline as well, honestly, I think there is more to this than just a battery. I think VW Canada is having problems across the whole line and they aren't saying anything yet because they don't have a fix. When I questioned the service manager, he got very defensive.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page