Cold test : FAILED - Page 3 - Volkswagen Atlas Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 06:03 AM

same issues with cold starts plus an EPC error

my 2018 atlas with 3,000 miles on it was not starting after cranking for a while and the EPC error came on. took it to dealer and they said they cleared it and the problem was a leaky EVAP hose and it is nothing to worry about.

the next day i pick the car up the very same issue. seems to be the case if the temp is below freezing. will drop the car off again today and see what they have to say.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

all good now

If i may bring a bit of comfort: all of my problems are fixed. My new battery works fine even in the cold. The engine doesn't smell the fuel anymore after long rest (ie. a night) during wintertime.
All is fine.
Now, I am worried about this clinky sound when the engine start by itself after the start-stop did its magic, but that is another story.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 07:36 PM

Got my Atlas in October 2017. Only 2000 miles on it when it wouldn’t start one day. Was NOT the battery. Towed & dealer kept it a week- resulted in diagnosis of defective fuel pump. A few weeks go by & several error messages later, the gas gauge reads empty suddenly. So they replace the fuel pump a second time and the car still has less than 3000 miles! Sounds like Newton1319 had the same problem. Parking on an incline increases the chances of this happening- according to the service department. Scary. Disappointing bc I otherwise like the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 07:36 PM

Often smell fumes too.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 03:24 AM

took in mine w/ exact same problem (check engine light, error start stop, remote start not working)
"P0496 high purge flow. tested and inspected purge valve ok. opened vta and was advised to perform evap system test. if test passes release car to customer. performed evap system test. system passes. released car to customer"

seems to have fixed it for now. will see what happens
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 07:27 AM

Be 100% sure you guys STOP FUELING when the gas pump cuts off. DO NOT TOP OFF YOUR TANK! A lot of people do this and have NO IDEA how damaging it is to your evap system, which will lead to hard warm starts, fuel smells, rough idling after fueling, etc. The previous owner of my former Ram did this often (and I continued until I learned better). If the temperature was 40 degrees Fahrenheit or lower outside, I had to sit and idle for about 2 minutes to equalize the fuel system and evap before filling because of the previous damage done to that vapor recovery system. Again, PLEASE do not top off your tanks! Stop fueling when the pump cuts off fuel.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 08:07 AM

ongoing cold start fails

Just to say that we're having the same problem with our Atlas 4-motion Execline. Anytime it gets below -10C there's a 50/50 chance the car won't start. Really poor engineering for a car sold in Canada. Have made an appointment with dealer who seems sympathetic, but it sounds like this needs a bigger solution than just replacing the battery. VW really needs to step up to the plate and deal with this.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 12:29 PM

ravcash 1

Same issues with cold start when plugged in.
Dealer had to update software. Apparently the block heater causing the computer to receive mixed matched info. One sensor telling the engine that the coolant is warm and other sensor is telling the engine that is hot which starts the cooling fan on high and shows start/stop error as well. Will check it out again and see if problem fixed. I am afraid to plug it now.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:02 AM

Good news. Checked this morning. Plugged in overnight. Started with remote in -30 cold weather and no more issues. No errors and no cooling fan running. Dealer software update did fix the problem. Kudos to Saskatoon Volkswagen dealership.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:13 PM

Im thinking

To days world is all about money - design - build - testing very little which is obvious as we all read here. Manufactures care about $$$ and are loosing out on quality control - reliability - and of course there name. I purchased a new Atlas comfortline the end of july 2018. I was very happy with it, I got 34 -36 miles to the gallon on the highway cruising the speed limit. About a month ago the low coolant light come on so I checked and there were no signs of coolant in the overflow, I topped that up with half liter of coolant. The first -35 degree morning we got all went south. Remote wouldn't work so I went out to go to work and would start it myself. It did start but EPC light come on along with the Engine light and was running on what would sound like 3 cylinders, both rad fans screaming. After a few days the miss went away and the EPC light dissipated also but the Engine light remained on. I call the dealership and got it in with in a few days so they could scan it. When I mentioned the coolant reservoir being empty I was told that it must have evaporated, I found this a very insulting. They had told me that they had some software updates that needed to be done also I specifically asked if this would effect the fuel mileage and was told no. They did there scan check for coolant leaks and updated the software. Was told that was getting a P0430 code which was a catalytic converter. Funny it still had the same power and great fuel mileage as it always had. Well this all changed after driving for awhile, fuel mileage is poor compared to before, gas peddle does not feel as direct as it did before-meaning no instant go when you touch it a bit. Engine light continually coming after resetting it with a OBD ll code reader. Dealer ship did clear the PO430 code but it is also back. Seems like it has a but less power compared to before the software updates. All a result of very limited testing before the Market. My opinion is that things are given a bigger chance to leave you stranded on the road with all the technology and software used to run the vehicle without proper testing being done before they leave the factory. All I hope for is the Techs are trained properly to deal with these issues before warranty runs out. Not Impressed at all.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page