Volkswagen Atlas Forum - View Single Post - First oil change.. 2.0 SE
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
notabiker

The newest gen 3b 2.0 is timing chains from what I read. Rings don't really wear once broken in properly, the cylinder bore would probably wear faster. The good thing is the 2.0 holds something like 6 quarts as the 5 quart just barely tickled the dipstick. I didn't pay attention to the amount it held and just grabbed a 7 quart pan I had handy and I ended up spilling a little when I had to move the pan to get measurements for the cuts.. Didn't realize it was that full until I went to pull it out, which I did very slowly! So more oil means it should last that much longer which is good for the 10k oil changes. To speed them up I cut out the skid plate where the drain plug is. Sure I might get 0.001% worse airflow under the car but compared to the pita it is to pull the pan off I don't really care.

Also I have a 2012 jetta tdi and they do 10k oil changes with 5 quarts of oil, many folks who do oil analysis end up finding out the oil is still good out to 15k miles or higher. Granted the tdi is a 130k timing belt so there's no chain wear present.

If you want cleaner oil changes without going under the cars then do what the dealers do and suck it out of the dipstick tube. In fact that is what the online service manual site that most mechanics use says to do and if you don't have the equipment then do it through the drain plug.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190331_221757.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	713   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190331_212151.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	715  

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome