Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

Sunroof Leaking, Harsdhift of gears from Park to Reverse or Drive

20K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  KarstGeo 
#1 ·
The Sunroof of my Atlas is leaking and water comes running down the center at the Rear View Mirror and then runs over the centre of the dashboard and down the radio panel.

It also has hard-shift from Park to Reverse or Drive and she literally jerks when I try to move the gearlever from Park to Reverse or Drive. This is so not normal!

#3 ·
Your sunroof drains are clogged -- I didn't buy an atlas with a sunroof, but I did have a beetle with one until last year, so I'll share how you can fix it. Your mileage may vary, and if you break it following anything I mention, its on you.

Take some plastic string from your trimmer (aka weedeater, weed whacker, etc...) and fish it down the drain holes in the sunroof (with the sunroof open). Don't force it.

I'd only do this IF the dealer tells you that its not covered by warranty.

As far as the transmission goes, take it in. I'm going to predict its some sort of valve body or shift solenoid issue, but that's purely a guess - without looking at your car it would be impossible to diagnose.

#5 ·
Sunroof and Catalytic Converter

We are also having issues with the check engine light constantly on and off and roof leak. The dealer has said that it is reprogramming/ sensor and software updates. The first time the sunroof leaked the dealer used butyl tape to fix. The leak was dripping at the center console by the rear view mirror after/ during a heavy rain. The roof leaked again. The dealer claimed the sunroof was not closing due to sensor and software updates as well as the check engine light was now coming on. I thought that the leak may have shorted out something causing the check engine light. I have contacted VW corporate and have been assigned a regional case manager. The check engine keeps coming back on right after we leave the dealer. The latest is that the check engine light is due to the catalytic converter is bad and needs to be replaced. Parts are not available to fix and on order approximately a week for delivery. Parts in and scheduled to be replaced in about a week and a half from today. Our Atlas has been back to the dealer it seems on a biweekly basis with constant issues and recalls. We have had the vehicle for about 6 months and are frustrated with the back and forth with VW corporate and the Regoinal Case Mananger. We have filed under the lemon law with VW corporate and put them on notice. If the check engine light goes on after the catalytic converter replacement or the roof leaks the lemon law will take effect.

Attachments

#6 ·
We are also having issues with the check engine light constantly on and off and roof leak. The dealer has said that it is reprogramming/ sensor and software updates. The first time the sunroof leaked the dealer used butyl tape to fix. The leak was dripping at the center console by the rear view mirror after/ during a heavy rain. The roof leaked again. The dealer claimed the sunroof was not closing due to sensor and software updates as well as the check engine light was now coming on. I thought that the leak may have shorted out something causing the check engine light. I have contacted VW corporate and have been assigned a regional case manager. The check engine keeps coming back on right after we leave the dealer. The latest is that the check engine light is due to the catalytic converter is bad and needs to be replaced. Parts are not available to fix and on order approximately a week for delivery. Parts in and scheduled to be replaced in about a week and a half from today. Our Atlas has been back to the dealer it seems on a biweekly basis with constant issues and recalls. We have had the vehicle for about 6 months and are frustrated with the back and forth with VW corporate and the Regoinal Case Mananger. We have filed under the lemon law with VW corporate and put them on notice. If the check engine light goes on after the catalytic converter replacement or the roof leaks the lemon law will take effect.
Are they going to replace the headliner? Is your Atlas one of the first builds out of the factory?

#8 ·
We recently bought a 2018 Atlas and experienced a similar leak. The VW dealer still has our car and is trying to locate the source of the leak (which they think may be coming from the seams of the sunroof) and fix it. After a heavy rain last week, water was running down the rear view mirror and dripping down the center dash and center console. Has VW fixed your water leak and repaired/replaced any damaged parts? Were your electronics affected? After the initial leak, I experienced some electronic issues (front screens did not immediately turn off after I turned the car off, the rear heat continued to run for 30 minutes after the car was turned off, and when I pushed buttons on the rear temperature control panel, the screen would turn off, then on, then off. We were finally able to get the heat to turn off after starting and turning off the car a couple times.) VW has already said that their diagnostics show that there are no issues with the electronics, but we are concerned that water got in and will cause corrosion. We already contacted corporate and have a region case manager.

My email is jennifer.tatum.root@gmail.com if you want to contact me directly. Thanks in advance.

#11 ·
The Sunroof of my Atlas is leaking and water comes running down the center at the Rear View Mirror and then runs over the centre of the dashboard and down the radio panel… This is so not normal!
Just bought a 2018 Atlas SEL AWD V6 (paid $6k below MSRP) in the San Francisco Bay Area (took delivery 2018/11/14). We live on a steep hill in San Francisco. Heavy rains arrived over Thanksgiving weekend and our Atlas flooded through the front lights/sunroof panel at the rear view mirror, just like the OP. The car was literally only 1.5 weeks old and had no clogs in the drains.

I brought it back to the dealer and they claim it is a known issue that won’t have any impact. Technician’s suggestion was “don’t park on the hill. It is a known issue.”

WTF? The solution to a gross design flaw is to park 3 blocks away down a steep hill on days when there is a drenching downpour? What am I supposed to take an Uber from the flat part to my house? Will VW cover the cost of broken windows due to parking in a desolate industrial area overnight? This is insanity.

#12 ·
If you're parking on an incline then hold the brake and do the parking brake and THEN put it in park. That way the brakes are holding it and there's no weight/force on the parking pawl inside the transmission and then your lever should easily go in and out of park. Just tap the gas while in gear and the parking brake will automatically release.

#16 ·
FWIW, Service action 60E2 addresses that issue. I got my notice that VW will made a "modification" to the drain hole(s) when you come in for service. Mine is about to hit 10k so it's time for an oil change so guess I can get it "modified".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.