towing experience - Volkswagen Atlas Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

towing experience

I have the 2019 all wheel drive, including V6 and towing package. planning to tow a camping trailer, and wondering if anyone out there has experiences, good or bad
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:37 AM

There's another thread on here that discusses how the Atlas has faired towing a few different things. Owners reported no issues pulling things up to 3,500lbs. Not sure if anyone has tested it at its maximum limit. Some suggest using sport mode as it prevents shifting up into the higher gears. https://www.vwatlasforum.com/forum/1...g-trailer.html
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 08:34 AM

Have heard nothing but good things about the Atlas' ability to tow. There are some good videos up on YouTube that have done tests with larger trailers to give you a sense of the dynamics. Most impressive is the 11mpg that has been reported with a max load.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simeon View Post
Have heard nothing but good things about the Atlas' ability to tow. There are some good videos up on YouTube that have done tests with larger trailers to give you a sense of the dynamics. Most impressive is the 11mpg that has been reported with a max load.
That's one of the reasons I can't wait for the Atlas PHEV to finally release.
During the summer months I haul a lot of small trailers and boats so if what I know about PHEV's hold up with the Atlas it will be an ideal buy.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 08:36 AM

Isn't the upcoming Cross Sport using a hybrid powertrain? Whatever VW ends up placing in that model is probably identical to what the Atlas will receive. I know they have mentioned a few times that they are exploring the idea of a plug in hybrid Atlas. That would be the first of its kind in the U.S from VW.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanus View Post
Isn't the upcoming Cross Sport using a hybrid powertrain? Whatever VW ends up placing in that model is probably identical to what the Atlas will receive. I know they have mentioned a few times that they are exploring the idea of a plug in hybrid Atlas. That would be the first of its kind in the U.S from VW.
I don't think we will see this in the current Atlas before the 2021model year and this will be possible at the mid cycle refresh time.

2018 Atlas SEL Premium - Deep Black Pearl with with Titan Black Leather - Sep 2018 Build
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 08:44 AM

I agree that we probably wont see a hybrid variant of the Atlas for several more years. But since VW already offers the Golf and Passat GTE plug in models in Europe, those could make their way stateside sooner.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:56 PM

The V6 SEL does a nice job towing. The power and transmission work well towing a 4000# Airstream Bambi. Very stable and The only issue is that the 500# tongue weight makes the rear drop more than I like, so I have to load more towards the back of the trailer and nothing heavy in the back of the Atlas. Only towed a couple of times last year - looking forward to more this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0922.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	705  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamron View Post
I agree that we probably wont see a hybrid variant of the Atlas for several more years. But since VW already offers the Golf and Passat GTE plug in models in Europe, those could make their way stateside sooner.
Very true.

For now i'm just happy the Atlas feels stable enough at higher speeds when hauling a load which in past vehicles hasn't been the case.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:28 PM

Real World Weight Distribution Hitch Experiences?

Has anyone else tried using a weight distribution/sway control hitch with the Atlas? I'd like to hear about your experiences. Now that the Atlas has been out for a while, I haven't seen many updates. Towing a Coleman TT here and seem to be running a fine line with weight and sway control. Actual loaded weight is around 4200 lbs (CAT scales) and currently using a sway control bar.

Thanks

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page