Is Atlas chassis modification needed for 5,000 hitch. - Volkswagen Atlas Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Is Atlas chassis modification needed for 5,000 hitch.

I know the answer to my question according to the VW rep, yes, the real question is what is involved in that. I have a 2018 Atlas SE, VR6 with 4 motion. I attempted to get a dealer installed 5,000 lbs hitch and was told that the rep talked to someone at the factory and that the cars coming with the 5,000 lbs hitch have additional strengthening of the chassis to accommodate the factory 5,000 hitch. Does anyone know just what they do under there that can't be retrofitted ? I am amazed that they have an optional 5,000 lb hitch that is only optional at the factory level, who would buy an SUV that size that can only tow a 4x8 garden trailer or something similar. I guess I would because I did thinking I could add a hitch later. But back to the question just what do they do under there to strengthen it ?
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 12:23 PM

I just pulled a factory hitch off an factory installed 18 and there was zero difference under there when compaired to my 19 (non factory) unit. The 2k hitch they sell and the factory have the same part numbers. 881b superseded by 881c. The difference between factory installed and us is an electric module that shuts off the rear detectors and upgraded cooling.(ton of research) Unfortunately the one I got my hitch from was smashed up front and I could see where or what size the factory tow package tranny cooler looks like. I am hoping one of the guys on the forum with the factory towing package will post a pic of their added tranny cooler. We can compare notes with them and see what front valance vents (if any) the tow package cuts open.

Last edited by Jatlas; 01-20-2019 at 12:27 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 01:00 PM

I've been very intense with VW USA about the towing. I got a call today that answers the question for me. The vehicles are all manufactured the same way. The difference is that the factory has tested the hitch assembly to the 5k as advertised. Even if you buy the factory hitch, harmess, and module it is considered aftermarket. Even if installed by a VW Dealership. Simply a legal issue. Anything not installed at the factory is aftermarket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 08:15 AM

I am in the same boat. My local hitch company can install a hitch rated for 5,000 lbs. Just want to make sure there are no other issues.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 07:31 PM

Some one at VWWVortex has actually been in contact with VW and they gave him a verbal response. Which I believe is that they can only guarantee the 5k load if it is installed when manufactured. After build installation (including VW ones) are only guaranteed for 2k) I think it is more of a liability thing than anything else. So any one who goes over then assumes full responsibility and VW will not be liable.

2018 Atlas SEL Premium - Deep Black Pearl with with Titan Black Leather - Sep 2018 Build
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 01:17 PM

Is anyone here planning to go through U-Haul for their hitch?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

The money says there can't be much difference.

MSRP on a factory 5,000 lb hitch is $550, after subtracting MSRP for the hitch itself you are left with about $165. A set of VW floor mats are $149 so you are not getting much in the way or alterations to the cooling system or transmission coolers for that kind of money.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 05:05 PM

that's a bit concerning which has me wondering what the warranty/owners manual says about the towing conditions we're allowed... just in case something goes wrong.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar View Post
that's a bit concerning which has me wondering what the warranty/owners manual says about the towing conditions we're allowed... just in case something goes wrong.
The owners manual lists maximum combined towing rates that include the weight of the Atlas plus the weight of trailer and cargo. It depends on what engine you have as well as if it is 4motion or not. It also lists different weights for trailers with brakes and without. Definitely worth reading if you are going to tow something. After reading everything I would not tow a 5,000 trailer but I would not want to be stuck with a 2,000 tow hitch if the vehicle is capable of more.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:13 PM

When I bought my 2018 Atlas SEL V6 all the vehicles on the lot had hitch receivers installed. As part of the deal I got the harness (I assume the connector by the hitch) installed and a 5000 lb hitch. No one said anything about any limit regarding the hitch; both 2000# and 5000# were similar in price, so I opted for the 5000#. Now looking to see what to do about an electric brake controller in case I rent a heavy duty trailer with electric brakes; I believe that if the trailer has electric brakes then you are required to have a brake controller for insurance purposes.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page