TPMS - Do you have to check the pressure manually? - Volkswagen Atlas Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

TPMS - Do you have to check the pressure manually?

This morning my 2019 SE VTECH let me know the tire pressure was low on the right front tire. Understandable, there was a temperature drop last night, no biggie....

For the life of me, I cannot find anywhere in the Multi-function Display/VIC, or Infotainment, what the actual pressure is, just that they are low.

Am I missing something, or do you have to check the pressure manually?

Thanks!
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikgrim View Post
This morning my 2019 SE VTECH let me know the tire pressure was low on the right front tire. Understandable, there was a temperature drop last night, no biggie....

For the life of me, I cannot find anywhere in the Multi-function Display/VIC, or Infotainment, what the actual pressure is, just that they are low.

Am I missing something, or do you have to check the pressure manually?

Thanks!
It is a sensor only and does not give the tire pressure. I wish VW went to the next step by actually displaying the pressure.

2018 Atlas SEL Premium - Deep Black Pearl with with Titan Black Leather - Sep 2018 Build
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 07:14 AM

It's an indirect system so yes, at first you will need to set all 4 tires to the desired pressure (35psi) then go into the infotainment unit (under the car menu) and find the tire menu and set it. It will tell you if you have a low tire but not which one or what the pressure is. It works through the various systems (namely ABS) to determine if one wheel is rotating slightly slower than the rest due to the slightly smaller diameter you get when it's underinflated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the quick replies. It's like, thanks VW for telling me which tire it is... and showing a nice graphic on the infotainment... but yeah.. I'd like to know what the PSI w/o getting out of the car LMAO. SMH. (We have a 2011 Jeep G. Cherokee Overland Summit and it shows us the PSI on the EVIC =D)

So far, love the 2019 Atlas, except the sluggish acceleration, and cheapish interior. But man it is roomy!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 01:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikgrim View Post
Thank you all for the quick replies. It's like, thanks VW for telling me which tire it is... and showing a nice graphic on the infotainment... but yeah.. I'd like to know what the PSI w/o getting out of the car LMAO. SMH. (We have a 2011 Jeep G. Cherokee Overland Summit and it shows us the PSI on the EVIC =D)

So far, love the 2019 Atlas, except the sluggish acceleration, and cheapish interior. But man it is roomy!
Our 2008 Touareg also has live monitoring of all four tire pressures...which is very educational during up hill pulls where you can see the rear pressure climb as the axel pulls our 7,500 lb travel trailer. I wish the Atlas had live monitoring too...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 11:49 PM

Honestly, I prefer this system over the actual TPMS sensor. It's PITA when you're swapping out wheels etc and have to buy another set of TPMS or swap them over. I can love with finding out which tire is low just got the ease of being able to swap wheels
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:49 AM

I can't believe the Atlas doesn't give a psi reading for each tire. Even our Jeep Compass does that. The last five vehicles we've owned did it. It's becoming an industry standard. With all the other bells and whistles on the Atlas, this should be a no-brainer.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
I can't believe the Atlas doesn't give a psi reading for each tire. Even our Jeep Compass does that. The last five vehicles we've owned did it. It's becoming an industry standard. With all the other bells and whistles on the Atlas, this should be a no-brainer.
It has no way of doing it - the sensors aren't direct read like many vehicles. Has it's advantages too. A digital tire pressure gauges is $10 on Amazon.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarstGeo View Post
It has no way of doing it - the sensors aren't direct read like many vehicles. Has it's advantages too. A digital tire pressure gauges is $10 on Amazon.
No replacement for real time monitoring. "Has no way of doing it" just means they don't want the extra expense, which is well worth it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page