Performing a trans. fluid change for a 2018 VW Atlas - Volkswagen Atlas Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Performing a trans. fluid change for a 2018 VW Atlas

I'm into an ATF change on my 2018 Atlas. I've discovered there is only a drain plug. Is there a special "adapter" that is placed in the drain hole;pumped with atf until overflow;removed and then the plug installed? Where can any special tools/adapters needed be purchased? Any steps I have omitted or gotten wrong? Thanks,
Jack
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:27 PM

I thought I heard that you are not supposed to do transmission flushes on the Atlas?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoscoro View Post
I thought I heard that you are not supposed to do transmission flushes on the Atlas?
According to the maintenance sched in the manual, 80K tranny fluid change (not a flush).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Red face Interesting........

so, Vw calls for an ATF change at 40,000 miles but then calls the trans a sealed unit. Scant info. available seems to force owners with maintenance concern to go to the dealership and spend $$$. I think I have an answer to the problem and will post when proven.:smile
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bisinger View Post
so, Vw calls for an ATF change at 40,000 miles but then calls the trans a sealed unit. Scant info. available seems to force owners with maintenance concern to go to the dealership and spend $$$. I think I have an answer to the problem and will post when proven.:smile
I have not looked at the manual but when I purchased the vehicle I asked my salesperson who then asked the dealer service manager in front of me and they both agreed that the transmission is sealed an you never have to change the transmission fluid. This was after I saw a video about how ridiculous it was to change the oil filter. This is all odd to me after coming from an 18 year "relationship" with my 2000 F150 where I did almost all repairs and maintenance myself!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:40 AM

You can change the Trany oil. See this link

2018 Atlas SEL Premium - Deep Black Pearl with with Titan Black Leather - Sep 2018 Build
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bisinger View Post
The manual states 80K for auto tranny fluid change...where are you getting 40K? My Golf's DSG is 40K.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Got 'er done. For other d-i-y ers......
1. trans. pan has a drain/add hole and, within it, a 5mm plastic socket head "level plug"(actually a threaded tube-open at both ends. Level plug installs on top of drain plug inside the pan.
2. To drain the pan- remove both plugs w/ 5 mm allen wrench.
3. Capture the drained fluid in order to accurately determine the amount of new fluid to add.
4.Buy an inexpensive hand operated fluid pump with clear hose.
5. " a 1/8 x 2 1/2 copper nipple
6. saw off one of the threaded ends of the nipple & cut 10m x 1 threads on this end(to match the trans pan threads)
7. Screw the "original threaded end of the nipple into the pump tubing.
8.Get 3 liters of ATF(Pentosin 1 LV) Advance Auto Parts has it.
9. Re-install the "Level Plug"(don't over-tighten)
10.thread the prepared copper tube into the drain hole & pump away.
11. When the proper amount of ATF has been filled-the fluid should flow down the level tube and serve notice.
/or you fill the amount you drained.
12.Be quick in removing the brass tube/ re-install the drain plug.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page